Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI graphics card question

• Please log in to reply

jfaatz

jfaatz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just bought this PC used with the DVI card. How do I get my monitor to work connected in the VGA port? At boot I get a message to connect to the DVI port. Can I just pull the DVI card. Do I want to? Would it be better to get a VGA to DVI adapter? My monitor is flat panel. On board video. If I remove the card do I need to change setup?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does your monitor not have DVI input, because it wouldn't be smart to not use the DVI input in that it gives you better picture quality then the normal VGA port. Only time I would change it is if I was having problems with the DVI port. As for removing the card, I would recommend it unless you know what you are doing AND you won't be voiding any warranty(s) you may still have with Dell.

Edited by Fenor, 14 September 2005 - 07:36 PM.

jfaatz

jfaatz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The monitor, (non Dell) does not have DVI port. Thanks for your advice, will save the card for future. Problem solved, DVI card removed and VGA takes over.