Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please HELP! Windows XP has gone mad!

• Please log in to reply

MizzLi

MizzLi

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Just recently my system got infected with the virus SpamNet.A and I followed various proceedures found to get rid of it. Finally once I got rid of it a problem still remained, that was the fact that everytime on startup, something tried to load Kernels32.exe which slowed down my laptop.

I researched again and found this website: http://securityrespo...valinstructions

And I don't know what I did but after I removed the last registry key listed at the bottom of the page, my windows xp went funny. The task bar has now changed colour to white instead of green and blue, the windows that open are different.

My sound has gone and when I go into Control Panel/Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices and click Sounds and Audio devices, everything is grey and not accessible.

Also all the internet connections I've made have disappeared from the Network Connections folder.

I don't know what else might have gone wrong, but system restore doesn't work and is there anything I can do to fix things to how it was?

Help!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
hey MizzLi,

Try doing the following:

Click START --> RUN and type in: sfc /scannow <----- NOTE THE SPACE BETWEEN SFC AND /SCANNOW
You will need to have your XP cd to do this. This will just check your files and make sure none of them are corrupt. After the blue bar goes, reboot your computer. If you are still having problems after doing this, post in this thread and we will try some other options.

Good luck!

Fenor

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
a last resort is to format and reinstall XP. It sounds harder than it is, and it gets rid of every active virus on your pc (viruses very rarely travel alone).

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Actually a REPAIR installation would be used before doing a full-fledged reformat/reinstall. But lets try less drastic measures first by doing what I suggested you do in my first post.

Edited by Fenor, 14 September 2005 - 07:12 PM.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Actually a REPAIR installation would be used before doing a full-fledged reformat/reinstall.  But lets try less drastic measures first by doing what I suggested you do in my first post.

View Post

Hey! Thanks for your replies. I switched on my laptop today after giving up last night and I found that the color has come back to the task bar and windows. The sound has come back. However, after checking my Network Connections folder in Control Panel/Network and Internet Connections my internet connections are still missing. Do you know why this has happened?

I was considering a reinstallment of Win XP, unfortunately it has come combined with the reformat DVD that was included with my Toshiba laptop-so I can't just do a repair Win XP.

I'm guessing everything else is o.k at the moment so maybe if I reinstall the product CD of my internet connection might fix the problem? (Still clueless whatsoever) :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
when you go into the device manager (right click my computer, click on properties, then click on the hardware tab and then device manager), is your network adaptor listed?

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

when you go into the device manager (right click my computer, click on properties, then click on the hardware tab and then device manager), is your network adaptor listed?

View Post

Yep the network adapter is listed, I clicked on the plus sign before it and all the devices are listed there i.e. my modem, my wireless etc But it just isn't appearing on the Network Connections folder. When I tried to move from using my wireless to my broadband modem connection, it wouldn't connect.

I've also noticed my Printers have also disappeared from the Printers and Faxes folder. So I can't print nor reinstall the software. :)

Is this the doing of a virus or have I deleted something I shouldn't have? :tazz: :)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest that you do a REPAIR installation of windows XP. Don't worry this won't delete any of your programs, files or settings, it just replaces the windows files themselves.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

I suggest that you do a REPAIR installation of windows XP.  Don't worry this won't delete any of your programs, files or settings, it just replaces the windows files themselves.

View Post

Thanks but I metioned before that when I purchased my laptop, the Windows XP came in a combined disk with the system restore DVD, so I don't have a single Windows XP CD. So I don't think I can just do a repair installation of windows XP without it restoring itself. Or do you know how I can extract that or make it do just a win xp repair? :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Some recovery/restore dvd/cds have the option of a non-destructive repair which does almost the same thing as a REPAIR installation of windows xp using an xp cd.

Advertisements

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Some recovery/restore dvd/cds have the option of a non-destructive repair which does almost the same thing as a REPAIR installation of windows xp using an xp cd.

View Post

Hmmmm I will have a look at it, but I'm pretty I've seen somewhere that you cant do a repair with the recovery disk. It hasn't got any instructions in the manual either. Looks like a system restore is required?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

Do you know someone with a regular retail XP cd that you can borrow. You can run either the Repair or the System File Checker that way. With the repair you would have to use your product key...system file checker doesn't require one. I would try the SFC first.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 03:09 PM.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

MizzLi...

Do you know someone with a regular retail XP cd that you can borrow.  You can run either the Repair or the System File Checker that way.  With the repair you would have to use your product key...system file checker doesn't require one.  I would try the SFC first.

wannabe1

View Post

Hey! thanks for your reply! Where do I find the system file checker? I dont think theres anyone with a copy of XP cd either. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

Try running system file checker with your recovery disk...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press "Enter"). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 03:18 PM.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

MizzLi...

Try running system file checker with your recovery disk...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter".  You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy.  Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).  When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted.  This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

View Post

Thanks again, I remember running the sfc /scannow thing with the recovery disk but nothing happening, it did a scan and disappeared and it didn't ask for an installation cd too. But I haven;t tried the second part and I'll see now!

Report back soon! Thanks! :tazz: