Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please HELP! Windows XP has gone mad!

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

After reviewing your posts again, I would also suggest at trip over to the G2G Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Some malware are very adept at hiding from scans and really require the special attention the Malware Forum is so good at.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 05:48 PM.

Advertisements

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

MizzLi...

After reviewing your posts again, I would also suggest at trip over to the G2G Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Some malware are very adept at hiding from scans and really require the special attention the Malware Forum is so good at.

wannabe1

View Post

Hey! I'ver tried what you suggested but I got a message after I did the second part with the chkdsk /r /f saying:

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this clume to be checked the next time the systemm restarts? (Y/N)

And I have downloaded the programs suggested in the Malware section, got rid of 30 files that ad-aware se has identified. However my printer software and internet connections are still missing. :ph34r: :) :) :) :ph34r: :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning MizzLi...

Choose "Y" to run chkdsk on bootup...Sorry, I edited that into my post, but you must have beat me to it.....you're quick!

Malware can effect both the internet connections and printer so that's just another indication of a problem in that area. I just ran ito that same problem on a HP I was working on here at home.

Let's see what chkdsk does....

wannabe1

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Good Morning MizzLi...

Choose "Y" to run chkdsk on bootup...Sorry, I edited that into my post, but you must have beat me to it.....you're quick!

Malware can effect both the internet connections and printer so that's just another indication of a problem in that area.  I just ran ito that same problem on a HP I was working on here at home.

Let's see what chkdsk does....

wannabe1

View Post

And so...45minutes later, I've ran scan disk and nothing much has changed...my printers and network connections have still disappeared.

I did delete this registry key:

Navigate to the subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsfot\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the right pane, delete the value:

"Shell" = "Explorer.exe %System%\kernels32.exe"

But not the Taskmanager registry recommended by this site:http://securityrespo...valinstructions

Is it because of that I have a problem now? :tazz:

Edited by MizzLi, 18 September 2005 - 09:41 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

Let's deal with the printer first. The file you deleted should have no bearing on that.
We'll try the short version first. Go to the Control Panel and open Printers and Faxes, right click on your printer and choose Delete. If there is more than one printer, Delete them all. Make sure your printer is powered on and reboot. Windows should detect and install your printer on restart...if it doesn't we'll reinstall it manually.

How do you connect to the internet?

wannabe1

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

MizzLi...

Let's deal with the printer first.  The file you deleted should have no bearing on that.
We'll try the short version first.  Go to the Control Panel and open Printers and Faxes, right click on your printer and choose Delete.  If there is more than one printer, Delete them all.  Make sure your printer is powered on and reboot. Windows should detect and install your printer on restart...if it doesn't we'll reinstall it manually.

How do you connect to the internet?

wannabe1

View Post

Hey!

What I mean is when I go into my printers folder, what was two printers listed have vanished so the folder is empty. And I can't print and for some reason when I plug the printers into my laptop it doesnt automatically detect it like it used to. So when I try reinstalling the software manually nothing happens.

I connect to the internet via my broadband modem, but since the software in Network Connections have been deleted I can't connect anymore. So now I'm using my wireless card and it has automatically connected to someone else's wireless router. (I know I should start using my own internet connection) :tazz:

Ohhh I don't know how this has happened, I just wanted to get rid of a virus. V_V :) :)

Do u think I should just reformat it? Looks like they're gone forever.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

Don't give up yet...we're just getting started!

Is your printer connected via USB or Printer port (usually LPT1)?

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

MizzLi...

Don't give up yet...we're just getting started!

Is your printer connected via USB or Printer port (usually LPT1)?

View Post

:tazz:
I have one which is connected via printer port that my laptop automatically detects it but doesnt any longer. My other printer which I bought recently is USB and the software I installed for it is still on the laptop, just not the printer itself in the Printer folder.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Disconnect both printer cables from the laptop. Go to Device Manager (right click My Computer and click Properties...under the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button) Scroll down to Ports (COM & LPT) and expand it (+). If there is a printer listed there, right click it and choose "Uninstall" and accept the changes.

While you are in Device Manager, do you see any yellow ! or ?? If yes, what are they next to?

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Ok...Disconnect both printer cables from the laptop.  Go to Device Manager (right click My Computer and click Properties...under the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button)  Scroll down to Ports (COM & LPT) and expand it (+).  If there is a printer listed there, right click it and choose "Uninstall" and accept the changes.

Erm...theres only: ECP Printer Port (LP1) Listed there, so shall I uninstall that?

While you are in Device Manager, do you see any yellow ! or ??  If yes, what are they next to?

View Post

Nope none. :)

Can I add, my USB printer is at my other house because I move away to study at uni so its not within reach at the moment, only the LPT one. :tazz:

Edited by MizzLi, 18 September 2005 - 11:19 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

ECP Printer

If this is the printer connected to LPT1, uninstall it.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

If this is the printer connected to LPT1, uninstall it.

View Post

Done! But now the Port (com & LPT) option has disappeared. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Done! But now the Port (com & LPT) option has disappeared. blink.gif

That's ok...we'll get it back in a little while... :tazz:

Now connect the USB printer cable back into your machine and reboot. Have your istallation software handy. If the printer is not automatically detected, put the cd in the drive and let it start setup...you may be asked to uninstall a previous installation choose Yes if it offers to do it for you or post back if we need to do it manually.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

That's ok...we'll get it back in a little while... :)

Now connect the USB printer cable back into your machine and reboot.  Have your istallation software handy.  If the printer is not automatically detected, put the cd in the drive and let it start setup...you may be asked to uninstall a previous installation choose Yes if it offers to do it for you or post back if we need to do it manually.

View Post

Just one problem though :) my usb printer is left at my other house where I go to uni, I'm at home now and my old printer is what I use to print with, it takes the parallel port thing.

I thought the software should always be installed first before connecting the product, I remember being told to reformat my pc because I plugged the USB printer in once without installing the software first and it'd confused my laptop. :)

But I reconnect my parallel printer...post back soon! :tazz:

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Good news, the printer has been recognised, bad news this message came up:

Cannot install this hardware

An error occured during the installation of this device

The RPC server is unavailable.

What does that mean?