Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please HELP! Windows XP has gone mad!

• Please log in to reply

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Start your machine and while it is booting, tap the F8 key until you get a Safe Mode options screen...select "Last known good configuration", and press "Enter"  Let me know if it starts.

View Post

Nope I'm still getting the message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD ROM. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

The simple solution is to repair windows, which is what I would've done if the laptop came with a win xp cd in the first place.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of computer is this? Make and model (again).... :tazz: Don't panic yet.....

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

What kind of computer is this?  Make and model (again).... :)  Don't panic yet.....

View Post

I wish I was as calm as you... I have to move back to uni soon, which in turn need tge laptop working too! :tazz:

Its a Toshiba Equium A60-692...is the model number included in there? Its just a year old now. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
While I research this, do you have a Windows XP disk from another machine (not oem) or do you have a friend that might have one. We can run a repair from a retail version.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try booting into safe mode again and this time at the ooptions screen select Safe Mode with Command prompt. Let me know if you get to that...

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

While I research this, do you have a Windows XP disk from another machine (not oem) or do you have a friend that might have one.  We can run a repair from a retail version.

View Post

No I have a WIn 98SE from this pc that I am using. Apart from that I have rang one of my friends and they have agreed to make a copy of theirs for me for me to collect tomorrow. BTW do I need their serial number for the XP disc or can I use the one printed at the bottom of my laptop?

Does this mean this has to be continued tomorrow when I collect the disk?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need the original disk...a copy won't work.

Try the command prompt in safe mode (last post)

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Try booting into safe mode again and this time at the ooptions screen select Safe Mode with Command prompt.  Let me know if you get to that...

View Post

Nope I'm still getting the same message. :)

I think I will collect the XP CD from my friend tomorrow and continue then...but thank you very much for all your help! :tazz: :)

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

You'll need the original disk...a copy won't work.

Try the command prompt in safe mode (last post)

View Post

If a copy won't work that means I will have to do a full system restore because the laptop never came with the original disk.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think something got disabled in the Services that you needed.......

Be sure to get the original cd..you'll use your product key.

Before you try this, you'll have to make sure the cd-rom is enabled in BIOS as the First Boot Device. I'll walk you through that tomorrow.

All is not lost, I've dealt with worse... :tazz: :)

Advertisements

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Before you try this, you'll have to make sure the cd-rom is enabled in BIOS as the First Boot Device.  I'll walk you through that tomorrow.

All is not lost, I've dealt with worse... :)  :)

View Post

Awwww. Thats reassuring to know. :)

Its not the first time I've been shut out of the PC, its happened so many times with my PC I'm using now.

I think I know how to enable cd-rom in BIOS, I was just hitting any key under my finger tips and somehow got to the screen. I'll go back and check.

I may be able to borrow the original xp from my friend but I can't get the original for this laptop because its meant to be part of the recovery DVD ROM.

Thanks for your help btw, its much appreciated :ph34r: and I've picked up some new bits to PCs! The only thing is I'd like to know where I went wrong so I don't repeat this again in the near future. :tazz:

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Before you try this, you'll have to make sure the cd-rom is enabled in BIOS as the First Boot Device.  I'll walk you through that tomorrow.

All is not lost, I've dealt with worse... :tazz:  :)

View Post

Right I have borrowed my friends Windows XP CD, except it is Win Xp Pro but I've seen an option to have Win xp Home edition (which is the one I've got to) I have got upto the reboot where it asks me:
Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press enter)?
I don't have a clue what to type in?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I was taking the kids to school...

At this screen, you should have an operating system selected by default...if there are more than one option, use the arrow keys to select the XP Home OS on the C drive...Press "Enter".

wannabe1

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

MizzLi...

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I was taking the kids to school...

At this screen, you should have an operating system selected by default...if there are more than one option, use the arrow keys to select the XP Home OS on the C drive...Press "Enter".

wannabe1

View Post

Thats fine!

I have just pressed any key and its fine now. Except I do get a slight error when I install/uninstall something:

Wise uninstall:

Could not open INSTALL.LOG file.

Do you know whats happened? Or anything else I need to enable without my Window/system32 messing up again? :) :tazz:

I actually found a lot of my programs i.e. network connections disabled by something and enabled them all automatically in the Administrative Tools/Services folder. Maybe I did something from there that brought on the error.

Edited by MizzLi, 19 September 2005 - 10:46 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

Maybe I did something from there that brought on the error.

That would be my guess... :tazz:

Is there an error code associated with the Installer Log error? If so what is it?

wannabe1