Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin 54g Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

kodemaan

kodemaan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yea so for starters i'll just Say that I have one really bad computer with Windows 98 and one good laptop with Windows XP

Windows 98 Stats:
GenuineIntel
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
191 MB Ram
8 Gigs

Windows XP Stats:
AMD Athlon™ XP Processor
2800+
1.6 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM
55.8 Gigs

Ok so the problem is that I can only get my Earthlink Cable Internet to work on one of my computers at a time. Whenever i try to reinstall the router program on the Windows 98 computer it says "Unable to connect to router" however it did used to get internet......till i used some tcp/ip fix on my laptop and now my laptop's the only one that can get internet. On the other hand when my Computer had internet and the Laptop didn't the laptop would connect to the router but it wouldn't get an internet connection. It would say something like "limited or no connection u may not be able to access the internet". Then when i tried to go into the windows firewall settings it wouldn't let me. I just tested it out and even though my laptop has internet service it won't let me access the window's firewall configuration to turn it off. I have tried many fixes and other things but all have proven unsuccessful. But i only found fixes and junk for the XP laptop so if there was a problem with the windows 98 computer then i didn't find it...

If ne one can help i'd greatly appreciate it.
~kodemaan :tazz:

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Kodemaan Welcome to G2G,

First, don't know if you check out the Belkin troubleshooting guide

You may want to do that first if you haven't. From your post i am assuming you are using the Belkin Wireless G Router?

Which version of 98 are you using? is it 98SE? What wireless cards are you using?
or are you connecting your desktop with a wire and hoping to use wireless for the laptop? are both computers in the same workgroup?

One work around at this point may be to connect the desktop to 1 of the 4 10/100Base-T Ethernet ports and configure a wireless card for the laptop?

make sure the cable modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router, use a cat 5e drop cable to connect the desktop to the router and use the easy install wizard on the laptop.

post back and let me know how you made out!

Edited by brianmil0923, 15 September 2005 - 12:20 AM.

windguru

windguru

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Guys,

I'm having trouble with this Belkin router as well!!!

I've got a Dell D400 with internal wireless card and when I connect wireless with the router the connection drops every 2/3 minutes. I've tried everyting from updating all my dell drivers to the router drivers, I think the dell card has problems with the security settings of the router, but I cannot leave the router without security!!!

Sorry to hijack your message dude but this Belkin router really s***. I cannot help you with your probs as my geek skills are v limited.

Any help appreciated

Thanks wg

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hey Kodemaan Welcome to G2G,

First, don't know if you check out the Belkin troubleshooting guide

You may want to do that first if you haven't.  From your post i am assuming you are using the Belkin Wireless G Router?

Which version of 98 are you using? is it 98SE?  What wireless cards are you using?
or are you connecting your desktop with a wire and hoping to use wireless for the laptop? are both computers in the same workgroup?

One work around at this point may be to connect the desktop to 1 of the 4 10/100Base-T Ethernet ports and configure a wireless card for the laptop? 

make sure the cable modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router, use a cat 5e drop cable to connect the desktop to the router and use the easy install wizard on the laptop.

post back and let me know how you made out!

View Post

OK so it is SE yea i forgot to put that....my wireless card is Broadcom 802.11b/g LAN and since only one is connected through the internet and using tcp/ip the other one isn't so they aren't and can't connect to the same workgroup. I'll try to connect the router through the laptop though, i didn't think of that...Yes i did do troubleshooting, but that only tells me to make sure i connected the cords right which i did (i tried reconnecting about 10 times) But yea i'm gonna try configuring the laptop and i'll reply to how it went

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Guys,

I'm having trouble with this Belkin router as well!!!

I've got a Dell D400 with internal wireless card and when I connect wireless with the router the connection drops every 2/3 minutes. I've tried everyting from updating all my dell drivers to the router drivers, I think the dell card has problems with the security settings of the router, but I cannot leave the router without security!!!

Sorry to hijack your message dude but this Belkin router really s***. I cannot help you with your probs as my geek skills are v limited.

Any help appreciated

Thanks wg

View Post

You should try connecting to your router and making sure the settings are right. The default is usually dynamic but i think that if it's set to static it'll kick u off ever so often. Yea and u have to set the security settings this way too. Go to a site and find ur external ip address and type it in the URL box and it will usually connect u too ur router. Otherwise u'll have to figure out how to find ur internal ip bc unless u have windows 98 (which u don't, i think) i don't know how. lol hope that helps but since i'm no good with networking, i doubt it

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yea so i just tried to connect to the router through my wireless card and (shocker) it didn't work so i think i'll have to plug the cord thats in my desktop into my laptop and try that.........unless u have ne other suggestions

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So what is the set up are they both wirelessly run or is one wired and one wireless. I must say i have that router and it has been great really easy to use . I did have bother with wireless stuff on win 2000.

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
one's wireless and one's not....the laptop is wireless and the desktop is not
PS:this'd be easier in realtime....like a messenger or something
PSS:I don't know how this is but somehow i think my internet is going through my router without actually using the router....like i am on the internet but i can't connect to the router and change settings
and also whenever i try to look at windows firewall it says can't view settings or somethin

Edited by kodemaan, 15 September 2005 - 01:35 PM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Some cable internet services use your mac address to associate an ip with your computer. Some will only give you one ip at a time, this is to prevent people using thier home lan's to hog bandwidth since cable is a shared bandwidth. To get around this you have to use your router to clone the mac address of your computer and setup your router to assign ip's to the computers on your lan, this way the cable company only sees one mac address

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Some cable internet services use your mac address to associate an ip with your computer. Some will only give you one ip at a time, this is to prevent people using thier home lan's to hog bandwidth since cable is a shared bandwidth.  To get around this you have to use your router to clone the mac address of your computer and setup your router to assign ip's to the computers on your lan, this way the cable company only sees one mac address

View Post

yea so i definitely can't connect to my router, or the config ne ways

Advertisements

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
could be a bad cable

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No i have gotten internet from both computers at 1 point in time it's just i can't get it from both. But somehow it's direct connecting through the router straight to the cable modem in such a way where i can't view router settings....i just don't know how to fix it

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
is there a firmware update available for that router? Do you know the ip address of the router?

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'd have to check about a firmware update but i know the ip address of my cable modem.....i don't think i got a separate ip address for just my cpu

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
are you on the same subnet?