Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking PC and Mac

• Please log in to reply

Donnaghey

Donnaghey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am about to move back to Wales in the coming weeks from IoM. It appears BT Broadband is the only compatible with PC and Mac 10.3. What is the best and/or easiest way to network the mac and PC, for she who must be obeyed will not give up her Apple.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Donnaghey and welcome to Geeks To Go,

Are you wanting to network them through a wired or wireless router, switch, or hub for internet access only, or are you wanting File and Print share <--- don't think the last part will happen, but i could be wrong.

Donnaghey

Donnaghey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx for the welcome and fast reply. BT says it will furnish router/modem to network, but here on IoM, Telecom isn't sure how. It will be for internet only, as my printer is better than hers :tazz: . I do have, somewhere in a box waiting for the removers, a netgear something that is wired. My old nellie hasn't got an ethernet adapter, but have purchase a card (again packed away) Herself has Airport so would it be better to hook up to PC and wireless to mac? or visa versa, or both wired, or both wireless. As obvious, I really AM a beginner, but willing to learn. Thanx again.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I am not familiar with some of the terms you are using, as I am on the other side of the world from you...

"but here on IoM" = What is IoM

And if I am understanding the rest of your post correctly:

you have a Laptop or desktop with Windows ME, that currently has no Ethernet port or ethernet NIC / PCMIA card in it...but you do have a ethernet nic / pcmia card, for your laptop packed away somewhere.

Her Pc is also a laptop with Mac OS 10.3 and she is currently able to connect with a Mac Airport wireless Access point - which i assume is connected to your current broadband Modem.

If I am understanding you correctly, your current physical configuration is as follows:

Broadband Modem ---> Airport Wireless Access Point ---> Mac OS 10.3 Laptop
-----------------------------------------------------------------> Your Pc is not connected

And you are wanting to know how to add yours to the setup? Am I wright or wrong?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
PS.... I was wrong... we can file and print share Mac with the Windows ME... if you want to.

Donnaghey

Donnaghey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
IoM is Isle of Mann an outpost in the middle of the Irish Sea, known for Motorcycle racing, money laundrying, beer (Real Ale), stubborness and violent weather.

She -iMac 10.3
Me PC ME (no ethernet card/slot)

Broadband through Green Frog Modum

Manx Telecom isn't sure how to net work, so only 1 on at a time. No Problem as we are moving to main land and will use BT Broadband, which is probably more reliable, and much faster. They furnish Modum/router but what is the best network solution, and yes, file and printer sharing would be helpful to know

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You can continue using your current set up,,, you just need to add a wireless network card for the Windows ME Pc, that is compatible with the Airport:

--Mac Airport Compatible Cards--
Here is an internal wireless card, for a desktop PC:
http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

Here is a external USB wireless adapter, for a desktop PC or Laptop:
http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

Both will work for your Windows Me Pc and both will connect to the Macintosh Airport Wireless Signal.

As for the File and Print Share with the Mac OS and Windows Me, I have not done it myself so I am not going to try and tell you how, but here is a link that gives a step by step guide how to do it:

http://www.homepcnet...m/pcmacovrf.htm

Donnaghey

Donnaghey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Fantastic! Thank you so much for the info. Will let you know how it's working in 2 weeks when we move.