Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having troubles with Cleanmgr (Disk Cleanup)

• Please log in to reply

RiverSalmon

RiverSalmon

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello

For some reason Cleanmgr, Disk Cleanup, lately pops up to free space when i still have over 1GB free. My HD is small, only 11 GB, so you can imagine the kind of inconvenience this causes. I went to My PC - C: - right click properties - clean up disk - configuration - and unchecked, but still automatically activates every time my HD goes under 1GB. This is starting to become a huge headache.

I should add that this only happens lately, previously Cleanmgr only activated under 50 megs

Hope someone can help me

W98 - PIII - HD: 11.7GB - Free disk: 1.2 GB

Edited by RiverSalmon, 14 September 2005 - 05:55 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

Do you want this running in the background all of the time? If not you should be able to disable it in the startup menu and activate it from your programs when you do need it.

If this is the case:

Go to Start > Run and type in msconfig. Click on STARTUP and scroll down until you find Cleanmgr or something similar. Uncheck the box. You will probably have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

RiverSalmon

RiverSalmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi,

Do you want this running in the background all of the time?  If not you should be able to disable it in the startup menu and activate it from your programs when you do need it.

If this is the case:

Go to Start > Run and type in msconfig.  Click on STARTUP and scroll down until you find Cleanmgr or something similar.  Uncheck the box.  You will probably have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

View Post

thanks for the answer

Actually i dont want it running at all, and its not running in the background at any time, it only activates when the disk capacity goes under 1 GB. It doesnt start up with windows so its not present at the start up list of programs

What i want is that it reverts to its previous state, a warning when i had less than 50 megs free in the HD. right now i cannot use 1 GB of my HD because this program (that comes with windows 98) prevents it.

I dont know if im correctly explaining myself.

Edited by RiverSalmon, 15 September 2005 - 01:48 PM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I am not familiar with this program but logic tells me that it must be running to monitor your disk space. I will have to pass on this one. Sorry I can't be of further assistance.

RiverSalmon

RiverSalmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Perhaps theres a confusion, this is the program im talking about, very well known, and like i said comes with windows 98:

Posted Image

Usually this program pops up when theres little HD space, but in my case it does when i still have 1 GB, and being my HD only 11 GB this is a big problem. Id like to change this number to 200 megs, but i dont know where i can customize this setting.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Sorry River Salmon - didn't have my thinking head on!!

Disk Cleanup is accessed from Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools. If you then click on OK when the option box pops up.

You can, if you select Settings, uncheck the Automatic function. This gives control back to you.

I am not aware of a method of selecting the point where the Auto function kicks in.