Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pseo0o

pseo0o

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
I was working on a friend's computer because he had a virus
and it just restarted the computer
so i backed up his files with a flash drive before it could restart

after backing up files, i tried to reformat his computer with a stripped version of windows xp professional. im sure many of u guys know what i am talkin about
so i had to go and i asked him to go with the procedure, where it asked for the secodn disk of windows xp. of course, there is not second disk for service pack 2 windows xp pro. so i said to cancel it.

he cancels the set up, where the operating system has already been installed. then, he ran his back up disk for his computer. he said that it wouldnt work and now its "my fault" that his computer is not working. please help. he said his computer is about 6 years old, which was running windows xp before everything happened. his computer is an emachine. dats all i kno and i said i would find a solution, only i do not know what to do next. someone please help. :/

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
G2G terms of service forbid us to assist with counterfeit disks, and your topic will be closed by a moderator.

Johanna

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If the computer is 6 years old it shouldn't be running windows xp anyways. I'm pretty sure I know the exact eMachine you are talking about and it is 500MHz with 128MB of ram, possible more ram if he added some to it over the years. These computers definitely should not run windows xp. It'd be like trying to ski on mud, sure you'd be able to move but not very easily. Windows 2000 is a much better choice for that machine.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
well, we all know you ment your friend was legally entitled to a copy of windows xp pro and has a license....ahem....anyway to business

hrmm...you didnt give him a company backup of xp did you? (they usually have norton ghost and drivers on theirs, as well as XP which will stretch to maybe 3 disks)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
"Stripped down" doesn't necessarily mean illegal version, but from the context of this post it does...

Edited by Fenor, 14 September 2005 - 07:46 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

G2G terms of service forbid us to assist with counterfeit disks, and your topic will be closed by a moderator.

Johanna

View Post

Its not conterfiet if someone is entitled to a copy of XP (a licence is what gives you owner ship of a copy, not the disk). Trust me, i run a computer business :tazz:

pseo0o

pseo0o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
its not counterfeit
someone i kno just shrunk down windows xp pro to contain only some of the features that normally come
its a way faster windows xp and has its own cd key.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ahh, it isnt Bart pxe is it?

I got one of those type of things in work the other day.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No CD can have it's own key, machines can have it's own KEY to use with a windows XP cd, but not the other way around. At work we use one Windows XP cd to install windows on many different types of machines from Dells to HP's to Gateway's, all each machine needs is a license key and they are set.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And by license key I mean the sticker on the box that says "Windows XP Home Edition - Product Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

Advertisements

pseo0o

pseo0o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
iono
i just got it from a friend at school and he said that it works
so i installed on mine no prob but i already had windows xp pro running before
it just made it a lot faster without the non-essential programs of paint and such
i passed it on to my friend and he says that i broke his computer cause his computer couldnt handle it and its not working for the repair disk that came with his crappy emachine

pseo0o

pseo0o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
and by cd-key
i am just saying what he said it had :/

not really pro about this field of knwoledge

Edited by pseo0o, 14 September 2005 - 07:51 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

crappy emachine

View Post

hahaha, iv said that so many times. It aint your fault man, a full copy of XP Pro is what you need. Id show you where to get one, but im not allowed, as it would mean legally telling you where to download one that may, in the wrong hands, be used illegally, Edited by mod<dont ask...its not worth it>

Suggested programs to allow for the illegal download of software is NOT tolerated here !!

Murray

pseo0o

pseo0o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
lol
i cant download through anyways
my parents dont let me download with computer so yeah :/

alsso, he said something about its not even letting him run any cds
like the boot cd menu isnt appearing

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can uninstall the accessories included with windows on your own from ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS and still be using a valid/legit version of Windows XP.

As for your friends problem, does he have a sticker on his box like I explained in my previous post? If so, all you need to do is find someone with a XP CD and install using that key. Or your friend can go online and order the recovery CD's for his computer for like $15 and he's set. That is if he has a pre-built machine he purchased and didn't have a friend or local computer store put it together for him.