Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

MECHELE

MECHELE

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I am on Internet Explorer I get an error message and it closes up my explorer program. When I reboot the machine it says p2esocks.dll is missing. What should I do?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Before I can help, I need a little more info about what you've installed, changed, or did just before this problem occured. More specifically, did you have a virus or some other infection that was fixed before this happened?

MECHELE

MECHELE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think I had a virus, I tried to uninstall windows and reinstall it but it makes the problem worse. I also did windows update but nothing is helping.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If the virus was removed and it was attached to your internet connection, it could leave a gap in your connection, thus preventing you from connecting to the internet. Download Winsock XP fix and run it.

Winsock XP fix

Even though it is for XP, it should work for NT or 2000, but if it doesn't, I can look for something else. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 September 2005 - 08:09 AM.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Were you connected to the net when reinstalling windows ?

MECHELE

MECHELE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded the winsock XP fix. But when I restart the system I get he following messages. NEWDOT~1 NEWDOT~2. DLL also P2esocks_1023.DLL. It also says The driver or network connection that the shortcut "my web search email plugin. Ink refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, then try again. I have no idea what all of this means and where I should go from here. Please continue to help me. also my operating system is windows 2000 professional

Edited by MECHELE, 15 September 2005 - 01:19 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
How do you connect to the internet? And is this computer at your house?

This is starting to sound like malware. Do you have Ad-aware or Spybot - Search and destroy? What about anti-virus programs, what do you use?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 September 2005 - 09:25 PM.

MECHELE

MECHELE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I use Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet. Yes this computer is at my house. When I run my virus scan (McAfee) I usually get a bunch of things that say Ad-aware. I don't have Sptbot or Search and destroy that I know of.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download Mozilla Firefox. It is an internet browser. Use that instead of Internet Explorer. If you can connect to the internet and it works, then we will start cleaning your computer, since it does sound like you have some malware. If Mozilla Firefox doesn't work, I have another idea. Let me know how it goes. :tazz:

MECHELE

MECHELE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded Mozilla Firefox, I went to the Internet with no problems, no pop-ups, no error messages. Thank you so much. I really do appreciate all your help. Now what do I need to do?

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.