Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pc takes many boots to work

• Please log in to reply

kendo2222

kendo2222

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok my pc takes many tries to boot up, its runnin widows 98 chinese version which i canot read. its used for work to run a point of sales software. the system is a AMD duron 1.1ghz on a soltek 75 M/B just basic system no cdrom. i have been using for 3 years now with no problems and no internet. problem now is that i turn on and it shows the windows 98 screen then screen goes blank, pc green light still on and keyboard lights on. but nothing esle. tried another monitor same thing. was told to change PSU and CPU fan etc... put new PSU and CPU fan heatsink. but still have to unplug power line and power on etc... about 10 times now before it boots up normally and works ok, whilst on and restarting windows it will come on ok until i leave it off longer, last week it took about 3 reboots now its getting to a longer time of unplugging. does anyone know wot could be wrong, the system just has a floppy and 120mb ram and no other hard ware. could it be some bios setting. please help. if i buy a new system and plug the current harddisk into it will i be able to continue to use windows98 and my point of sales on it straight away. thanks

Advertisements

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
have you tried plugging it into a different wall socket, also when the screen goes blank can you still turn the num, caps and scroll lights on/off on the keyboard?

Edited by fungit, 15 September 2005 - 05:54 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh man this is a problem. If the psu and hs did not solve it then I suggest to slave the hardrive in another computer and save your work (point of sales software) just in case the hdd (hardrive) is about to fail

You asked

if i buy a new system and plug the current harddisk into it will i be able to continue to use windows98 and my point of sales on it straight away.

No you can not boot a new system from the old hdd with windows 98 but you can connect it as a slave and get your data, save to the new systems hdd then reinstall the software on the new machine providing the software is compatiple with XP witch I assume the new machine will have.

With the minimal components you have in the system and you have replaced the psu all thats left is the mobo, cpu or hdd

Rick

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
when the screen goes blank after about 5 seconds, keyboard lights still on but you cant switch numlock on/off, there is no bleep at bootup either. i have the power plugged in a 6 way extention always and have tried switching positions no help. sometimes after unplugging and reboot it would start at the safe mode options screen, saying cos it didnt switch off properly etc.. i choose boot as normal and it would boot, so when i can see the bios info i know it will boot, just when i see it show win98 startup screen then goes blank i no it wont go any further. problem is my POS software came installed onto the system so i need to use this software, so any ideas on if i could pull out the hard disk and plug it into a older machine i have at home p11 350mhz. and use the program. would it not boot up because the hardware/ M/B were different from current one. i read on the soltek M/B site that my model M/B could switch off after boot up within 5 seconds due to cpu overheating and that there was a setting in the bios that enabled or disable overheat shutdown, but i didnt understand the process. anyone hear off this option. it advised to change h/s fan and disable shutdown, which i assume would not shut down if it was overheating and could cause more problems. could i change the M/B for exact model/ or CPU compatible and still use current HD as it is and use the current win98 with my POS program. thanks

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok i just found out that at boot up i can enter the bios settings and the screen will stay on ok, but after exiting bios its shows the system bios data etc... then back to win98 startup screen and blanks out again. could this be software or hardware issues. thanks