Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard components

• Please log in to reply

gman13

gman13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Model 4100, that I have been working on restoring, and I have been succesful for the most part, but It seems that there may be a problem with the ide port for my cdrom drive. The system does not detect the drive when I connect it to that port, but the drive certainly works, because I tried connecting it to the ide port for the hard drive, and the system detected the drive then. Unfortunately I cannot find a cord that will reach from that secondary ide port to the cdrom slot in the housing. I wanted to know if it was possible to replace the ide port, and where could I get one if possible.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmm...i donno....are the jumpers set right?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's posible that your chipset drivers are incomplete. You can look in Device manager and see if both the ide controllers are working. If not you may ned to get the full set of drivers from the chipset maker. OEM machines often don't have the full set of drivers loaded.

gman13

gman13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll have to check that, and make sure both ide controllers are working.