Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Cannot Delete"

• Please log in to reply

slashy

slashy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey.

I downloaded the Quake 3 Fortress Mod off their site, and it saved to my desktop as a file. Not an exe or zip or anything. I wasn't sure whether the file extension was meant to be an exe or zip, so I tried exe first. I ran it and all it did was open a DOS window and nothing happened. I eventually copied it to a removable disk and put it onto my other computer as a zip. It unzipped then and is working.

The problem is; I can't delete the exe off my desktop, as it says 'Cannot Delete - being used by another person or program...blah blah blah...'

I've tried changing the file extension and stuff but no luck, it just gives that message again. I then rebooted in safe mode and still got the same message. I ran a virus-scan and the file is clean.

Please help. The file isn't doing anything bad, it's just pissing me off incredibly that it won't delete.

Thanks.

slashy.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter then start up, remove any ticks associated with the programme, click apply and reboot, delete the file, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply then reboot

If you cannot find anything in msconfig / start up then get MoveOnBoot here

http://www.snapfiles...et/emcomob.html

slashy

slashy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks heaps, Keith. I used MoveOnBoot and it's gone now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know