Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing file during XP setup: sceconW.chm

• Please log in to reply

aj_grass

aj_grass

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
can you help me?
during XP pro install I got a warning that the file sceconw.chm is missing. can you help?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if the set up discs will get the install beyond where the XP CD does

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
the only files i miss are
sceconW.chm and pro.wn_

setup coniues anyway.
are they critical?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it continues until you get the desktop, click start then run, type sfc /scannow and press enter to replace the system files

If they were critical the installation should stop

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I ran sfc /scannow, the program scanned, and scanned and..... and didn't fail or anything. just closed when finished.

am I clear to continue?
does anyone know what they are for?
and will they cause problems by being missing?

Edited by aj_grass, 15 September 2005 - 03:43 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The system file check would have replaced them from the CD

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents.

Run Microsoft Update, which won't run if necessary files are missing

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us