Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

storage devise

• Please log in to reply

nurujem

nurujem

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i need help.i am using windows xp and i am using a lot of programs and the hard disks are getting full.i can not afford buing any hard disk to increase the speed.the
c drive is coming to an end.i always clean up uncessary files.please tell me is there any tool that will help me to store files and to have more free space.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Run DiskCleanUp, for instructions on using DiskCleanUp refer the following M$-KB article:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310312.

You should also download SpaceMonger, it show you a map of each partition on your HDD.
If you any problems or qustions on what to delete; attach a SpaceMonger screenshot with the drive on which you want to free space.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
If you have large files like pictures and also MP3s you could burn them on to CDs and free up space. Also system restore takes up space. If you have stuff like Google Desktop search, it keeps indexing your files and that information can grow up to around 1gb. CCleaner is also a good utility, dont forget to defragment after you delete large files to prevent the drive from being fragmented and slowing down your system.
Also heres a link
http://pcworld.about...p162id97442.htm

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Check your "Add remove programs" also. Just a hunch but if you have alot of programs then that might mean you downloaded them. If thats the case then with most programs you download they install other programs that arent needed. (Search bars, weatherbug and other crap). Delete anything you dont need in there and I would also run the defragmenter if needed. Wich I would do anyway after deleting a bunch of stuff.