Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor shuts off during XP startup

• Please log in to reply

jozga

jozga

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

First of all I am using XP64 but I couldn't find the right forum to post in, however I am not sue if it's that relevant...

My problem is that my computer gets to the 'loading Windows XP' screen, and then the monitor goes into power saving mode, every time.

This happened immediately after I plugged the same moitor into an oher computer. The monitor still works fine on the other computer, so it isn't at fault...

One thing that worries me is that althoough the computer sounds like it is running fine, I can't access my network shared folders. This makes me think that winows has gone wrong somehow... But I can't believe that windows was working fine, then I plugged the monitor into another computer, and when I plugged it back it had gone wrong, seems unlikely.

I would appreciate advice on what the best way of testing everything is, so that I don't go ahead and reformat without trying everything else first.

-Jake

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Realisticly a monitor isn't even needed for the computer to boot up(unless XP64 has changed that)...

Things to test.....

Try disabling all power functions in the BIOS.

I know network cards have the option to bring the computer out of sleep mode..maybe the reverse too..just a guess....I only say this because you mentioned that you couldn't see your network shares so I was leaning toward a network card malfunction...

When in XP check your power settings....right click desktop/properties/screen saver/power..........maybe reveal a clue to your problem too.

Just some thoughts ..........

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The thing that gets me is that I had a working computer, I shut it down, unplugged the monitor and ran it on my other computer for about 30mins, then plugged the monitor back into my first computer, and suddenly it won't start windows...

The only thing I changed was plugging in the monitor... The fact that I can't access my network shares makes me suspect that my computer hasn't booted windows properly (obviously I can't see if it has or not...)

-Jake

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jozga...

Have you tried booting into safe mode? That willl give you more options and the ability to adjust the settings. Tap the F8 key during boot up. Start with the "Last known good configuration" option.

wannabe1

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah that only occured to me recently, and I will try it as soon as I get home. Still- a bit of a strange problem right? I honestly can't figure out if it is a hardware thing (monitor confused by two pcs?) or a software thing (windows inexplicably resents sharing it's monitor and sulks).

Bluez

Bluez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the same problem sometimes
i have 2 pcs connected to 1 monitor using a switch. if i restart1 while the other pc is switched to the monitor the monitor goes into power saving mode
the way i get around it is boot into safe mode and uninstall the graphics drivers, reboot and reintall the drivers.
hope this helps