Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Assistant

• Please log in to reply

Skeetergirl

Skeetergirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't get remote assistance to work... says it can't resolve remote comptuer name?

Deborah

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Please give details on exactly you are going about performing remote assistance.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Skeetergirl

Skeetergirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Using MSN Messenger, asking for assistance.... then I get the error message.

Thanks in advance,
Deborah

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try sending a remote assistance invitation via email from the pc that needs assistance and then the person giving assistance can just double click the attachment. Make sure firewalls are not stopping you too.

Skeetergirl

Skeetergirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did try that and we both turned firewalls off... I am behind a router, but don't have the firewall part on it active. :tazz:

Thanks,
Deborah

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So you are behind a router? Make sure the correct port is open.. 3389 is the port number to check. Type in the ip address of your router (might be 192.168.0.1, but you'll have to make sure on yours) and somewhere in the configurations find port 3389 and make sure it will allow outgoing and incoming connections.