Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needed help.

• Please log in to reply

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After running a defrag on my other computer it had crashed, I've not been able to get it running again.

After this I put the hdd in this computer ran norton to see if any viruses we're infecting it, there were 3 which I wiped off and since reinstalling windows the computer started but froze while detecting the Hdd and Cdd's.

So, I tried the hdd, sound card, eithernet card and graphics card all worked, all worked in mine, and all worked in his expect the graphics card.

Completly lost at what is and whats not working.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Kathryn22...

Have you tried to boot this machine into Safe Mode? Tap the F8 key while the computer is booting up. Try the "Last known good configuration" option first.

If you can boot to Safe Mode...
Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

If you can't boot to Safe Mode...
REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

wannabe1

Draco's_Fury

Draco's_Fury

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I dont understand what u are saying...

Edited by Draco's_Fury, 15 September 2005 - 10:38 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Which part do you not understand, Draco's_Fury? I will try to clarify it for you...

wannabe1

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It boots, but the monitor stays blank.
We've tried this computers graphic card, and a few others but none work.

Even before when it did boot, it would freeze when we pressed enter on safe mode.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kathryn22...

Try the REPAIR I suggested in my first reply and post back with your results.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 11:21 AM.

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thr computer is powering up but the electric is getting to the cdd's, Hdd's but not the monitor.

I've checked the monitor and cable by connecting it to my graphics card but when I connect mine to his it doesnt power up.

Edited by Kathryn22, 15 September 2005 - 11:40 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kathryn22...

Have you tried hooking this monitor up to a different machine to make sure it is working properly? This is starting to sound like either your monitor or video card had gone bad.

wannabe1

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yup the monitor and cable both worked. Tried mine in his didn't work.

Tried other v-cards but none of those worked in his.

Draco's_Fury

Draco's_Fury

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was just confused by the way I read it. I got it now.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok, Kathryn22...I'm a little confused here (which isn't too hard to do sometimes :tazz: )

Let me see if I've got this right. Your monitor doen't work on your machine, but does work on a different machine.

A second monitor, when hooked up to your machine, does not work.

When you remove your video card and put it in another machine, it does not work (I'm assuming you installed the drivers for your card on the second machine?).

You've tried several video cards in your machine and the problem persists.

If I have all this correct, I see two possibilities (so far) 1...Bad video card or 2...drivers not installed.

Correct me please, if I am missing something here!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 01:05 PM.

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thats all correct.

But how do i install the drivers IF i cant loads the monitor with the pc?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kathryn22...

Couple more questions...bare with me here...

Does your monitor work during the boot sequence (detecting drives, etc...)

Does it work when you try to boot to Safe Mode (do you see the options screen)

wannabe1

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Doesnt work at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kathryn22...

Since it appears you are ok about being inside the machine, let's try flashing the BIOS. To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 03:07 PM.