Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem send/recv emails outlook express 6

• Please log in to reply

Sue_38

Sue_38

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I would appreciate any advice you can give. My mother has just bought a DELL Dimension 5100, with Windows XP Home edition. It came with Outlook Express 6. She's with British Telecom and received their broadband package and installed in this week. She cannot get her Outlook to receive or send emails. She gets this message: "The connection to the server has failed. Acccount: XXXXX, Server: XXXXXXXX, Protocal: XXX, Port: XXX Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E".

Now, I've put her account details onto my computer and I have been able to receive the test messages I've sent.

She's at her wits end, and is about to throw the blooming thing out of the window! Any advice greatly received. Thanks. Sue.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is her email account setup as per her ISP's instructions??

Murray

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi Murray. Yep. I put in her details on my computer (I'm in a different town to her, so we're not networked in anyway). So I set up an email account on my PC but using her credentials. It worked OK for me. I could send and receive. When she does it, as she clicks send, she gets the error message I posted earlier :tazz:

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If you are sure you have the OE account set-up correctly per her ISP's settings, then I'd look for another cause of the error, such as either a firewall or virus scanner program that could be set up incorrectly and might interfere with mail retrieval.

I'd temporarily disable any v. scan or firewall program and reinstall the settings in OE from her ISP. (completely remove the mail account and start a new one fresh)

Usually this will fix the problem. If you get the mail to work, then you'll know one of the other programs is the cause. Have you checked for updates from Microsoft for OE? If the mail worked, then you downloaded a patch...you could uninstall the patch update and see if the program responds normally after.

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi. I'll try that. I won't be able to get back to you until tomorrow night. I will let you know how we get on. bye for now.

by the way..... love your picture! it made me smile! :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Another possibility may be the requirement for authentication..

Also, check her ports and make sure she is using 25 for the SMTP and 110 for pop3..

Murray

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi there. thanks for all the advice Kat and Murray, but it still doesn't work. :tazz:

She's got the telephone number of someone locally who's been recommended to her, and she's going to call him to see if he can sort her out on site. I'll let you know, if you want, if and when we get it sorted. thanks again.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Please do..

Murray

Sue_38

Sue_38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi - thought I'd let you know that she is now online, sending emails and surfing the net! Not sure what this guy did, but he did something! Not much use to you guys though in case you need to help others, but thanks anyway. Cheers. :tazz: