Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to login winxp

• Please log in to reply

ernmen

ernmen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I select ctrl/alt/del and issue the correct login and pw, windows xp acts like it is logging in but then logs me out and returns to the login screen. I have tried all safe modes and have removed the harddrive and scanned it for sasser viruses etc. System restore does not work either. I have also tried the administrator account login. Is there a work around to get my desktop back? I am stumped on what to do next...any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

ernmen

ernmen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there anyone who can assist? Hard to believe this is uncommon problem....Thanks!

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i once saw the same thing that was after i partitioned a windows drive with partition magic i found no way of fixing it other then getting my xp cd out and using the repair fuction.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ernmen...Welcome to G2G!

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. From the task manager, Click "New Task"...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run (or use the Task Manager again)...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
try as wannabe says but i much doubt ull be able to get into it. i know i couldnt repair was the only suceessful method id found, maybe if u boot from the xp and run the recovery console u can run chkdsk /p. which could solve problem that would save the complete repair process.

Edited by The one, 15 September 2005 - 08:08 PM.

ernmen

ernmen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi ernmen...Welcome to G2G!

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.  From the task manager, Click "New Task"...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter".  You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy.  Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).  When it's finished, click Start then Run (or use the Task Manager again)...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted.  This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

View Post

When I press Ctrl + Alt + Delete I get the login prompt...and I am unabel to log in to run task manager at all...

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Try Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
When the computer is starting up, press the F8 key. When you are presented with your choices, select "Safe Mode With Command Prompt". If that loads, try wannabe1's last post.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
While your in safe-mode with command-prompt; I also want you check whether the following files exist in the c:\windows\system32 folder:
wsaupdater.exe
userinit.exe

Also boot into normal safe-mode:
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit
Press <enter>
In the "registry editor"; Goto:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Give me the variable and its value on the right-hand side pane in this key.

vcool

vcool

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: got the same problem,can;t even login to safe mode,it acted as same when you tryin to login to normal mode,it seems logging in,but suddenly log u off,can;t do anything about it,any helps appreciated!