Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

in a bit of a pickle

• Please log in to reply

munky

munky

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok here's the deal. I live on a University campus. Here's what I was told by the IT guys here that I have to take my computer to:
The network automatically blocked me b/c I have a virus on my computer.
They can't fix the virus b/c they can't get Windows to update. (I've never had a problem with it before..)
So, they can't unblock me until they can varify the virus is gone.
I can't update windows until they unblock me and let me back on the network.
--
So, my plan is to get my computer back, take it to a friends house off campus and try to fix it there.
They told me I might need to reformat to fix it..
If it comes to this.. I have a few questions.
I have windows and a couple small progs on C:\, and all my other programs and everything else I keep on a seperate internal hd (E:\). Now, is it possible to reformat/reinstall windows (all that jazz) and my programs and everything on E:\ still work? Or will I have to reinstall EVERYTHING??

Hope somebody can help.. If I post a HJT log in the Malware section, will someone be able to tell more about the situation and help me out?

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I would post the log and let them have a look at it.. Could be something simple !!

Murray

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
should i post here or create new thread in the other sect?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
munky...

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

wannabe1

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Any help with the rest of my quesion?

I have windows and a couple small progs on C:\, and all my other programs and everything else I keep on a seperate internal hd (E:\). Now, is it possible to reformat/reinstall windows (all that jazz) and my programs and everything on E:\ still work? Or will I have to reinstall EVERYTHING??

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I reckon any files (documents, etc) you move over to the second drive will still work if you plug it in after the reformat but your programs wont because its more than likely that at least one of them needs entries in the registry before it'll run properly and it wont find the entries if you reformat.

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
that's what i figured.. i just wanted another person to tell me how much i hate my life with this thing right now ^^