Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

weird colors on bootup

• Please log in to reply

munky

munky

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, so I have an ATI Radeon X800 Pro video card. The drivers are up-to-date and everything. When I boot my computer most of the time I get weird colors though.. Either a white bar across the bottom of the login screen, or weird and random red lines and whatnot.. Sometimes I just have to reboot a few times for it to show up right. Also, the other day I noticed when I booted up and everything looked fine, my mouse wouldn't work.. Took a while to get it to boot properly and the mouse to work as well..

Anybody ever heard of anything like this? Could it be the monitor? Or maybe some virus or something? I don't realy think it's a problem with the card..

Thanks.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Sounds like you need to check that the video card is "seated" fully in the AGP/PCI-E slot

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Don't forget to check that the pins on your vga connectors aren't bent(i.e. not going into the holes on the video card)

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
could it have something to do with WindowsBlinds?

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
anybody else have suggestions?

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
have you tried disabling windows blinds?

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
are you overclocking the card? Highly overclocked / defective / burnt video cards can cause that symptom.

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The card is seated fine.
Nothing is bend on the VGA pins or anything else.
No, I have not tried disabling WB.
No, I am not overclocking the card.

I did not have the card holder thing pushed down.. I assumed that was the problem. But I still get weird things after I fixed it. Maybe if I re-update my driver.... or maybe it is the WB.. I haven't heard of that before, though, is why I'm skeptical of that being the problem. It's pretty weird..

I'm about to wipe all my stuff out though, and so maybe after I reinstall everything, it will be fixed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Before you wipe off everything, try boot into safe mode and see if you still get the same problems with card? (bypass the ATI drivers)

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I don't see problems in safe mode.

btw.. i'm wiping everything off for a different reason than the card. I'm upgrading the drive windows is on.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you also mentioned some difficulty with the mouse. do you have a special mouse or special software that goes with the mouse? I have seen mouse software mess with video cards like that but it's been a long time....( talking win95 days I believe) and then It was mainly ( or maybe only don't remember ) with diamond video cards ( poor drivers I believe but not sure what the issue was exactly)

Otherwise I have seen weird lines, dots, ect when the memory is going bad on a video card. good luck with the restore..... that may help and it may not

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
it only happened that one time.. i was using a mx500.. the problem with the mouse is probably just that, a problem with the mouse.. i've been using a [bleep] dell mouse for the past few days due to relocation, and it has worked fine.

munky

munky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I disabled WindowsBlinds, and it did not help.

The card is seated fine.

Sometimes it might even turn my monitor off...

allgold36

allgold36

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please post your system specs, include all the hardware installed and the Power supply

Also under ATI Catalyst control centre look for the settings with the line graph and set all colours to default and see if that helps. Sorry I can't give specifics as I removed my ATI card last week and can't remember the exact settings,

As for your monitor turning off, try Control Panel>Display>Power> Set turn off monitor time to never or a setting of your choosing.