Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Terrible Harddisk problems

• Please log in to reply

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
i can get into windows, but i know there are errors on the disk somewhere, but when i set chkdsk to run on restart, it will do it all perfectly, and fix everything, and then after it seems like it should be finished, it will say "recovering orphaned file (whatever, just a bunch of numbers).TXT

so i have to restart, as this just goes on forever, and it seems to berecovering the same set of files to the same 2 directories over and over and over. im sure its some sort of malicious virus, i just switched my firewall to blackice, and ive just been having problems ever since the change. for some reason the firewall was letting in attackers ore something, the attacker was sending SMB's and everything, i couldnt understand it.

the reason i know there are errors on the Disk are because i get this nasty beeping from the harddrive, and it only ever happens when something bad has happened on my harddisk. i just cant get rid of it!

yep, i just tried to error check my C drive while in windows, and it stops at the end of phase 2 saying it cannot complete the check. theres definetely someting fishy on my disk, i just dont know what it is.

Edited by .ZER0., 15 September 2005 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sounds like a bunch of bad sectors..

Do the scan just before you go to bed and let it finish up overnight..

Murray

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Howdy:

Sounds like a bunch of bad sectors..

Do the scan just before you go to bed and let it finish up overnight..

Murray

View Post

what type of scan ? you mean the one where it seems like its "recoverinbg orphaned file xxxx.txt" ??

i would but it seems like its the exact same files, and why would they be all .TXT files ? it seems like it just goes on forever!

no virii found on my C drive. this is infuriating.

Edited by .ZER0., 15 September 2005 - 04:46 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

i can get into windows, but i know there are errors on the disk somewhere, but when i set chkdsk to run on restart, it will do it all perfectly, and fix everything, and then after it seems like it should be finished, it will say "recovering orphaned file (whatever, just a bunch of numbers).TXT

View Post

This scan.. Let it finish.. It saves as a .txt so you can see what's in there!!

Murray

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

This scan.. Let it finish..  It saves as a .txt so you can see what's in there!!

Murray

View Post

personally, i dont think its going to finish. it just scrooolls down the blue page (you know the blue page you get for when windows wants to do something before it launches?) well it just keeps scrolling down saying "recovering orphaned file 345354325.TXT or whatever.

so you think i should try and let it finish?

is it possible that someone created a scipt on my computer that would run in chkdsk, and make chkdsk recover a file over and over and over ?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

so you think i should try and let it finish?

is it possible that someone created a scipt on my computer that would run in chkdsk, and make chkdsk recover a file over and over and over ?

View Post

Let it finish..

part two: No..

Murray

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, im going to let it finish. if anything screws up its your fault !

lol, jokes.

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i let it finish, and all seems well. im just cleaning everything up, and ive installed kerio personal as my new firewall, it seems good, very user friendly.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
There ya go..

Murray