Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeekU admittance(old)

• Please log in to reply

gmanual

gmanual

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i wish to enroll to help others

Advertisements

JulieC

JulieC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm considering joining ... mostly, I found a way to lobatomize Aurora (finally, at least on XP) without 18,000 tools and wanted to share. This was the most Google-able site for malware removal, I got the idea to play with regmon from here. I don't know my way around here (at least not yet), feel free to move/edit/delete/add/plagerize/try out/correct/etc.

Three steps, two definately important, one maybe not so ...
1) Using regedit, delete all the entries under HKEY_CURRENT\Software\aurora. Change the permissions for this key to deny access to all users.
2) Repeat #1 for HKEY_CURRENT\Software\Bolger
3) Delete C:\Windows\nail.exe. Create a small text file (contents unimportant) called nail.exe and attrib +r it. (This may not be relevant ...)

I'm a software engineer, 14 years of experience. I've got B.S. in Computer Engineering/Computer Science. The considering joining part ... I'm not sure how much time I will be able to spend, but I'd like to learn more. I've been working outside my usual Windows realm for a couple years and need to get back into the swing of things. Usually I can hack malware out of the registry pretty quickly, but this #$(% Aurora thing took forever. It's still not gone, but seems to be disabled for the moment.

TomNJ

TomNJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
I would luv to learn how to help people the way you helped me. I am pretty good on computers just no tracking down all this crapware.

Chuck521

Chuck521

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

Yes I'd like to help if I can learn enough to do so. My IQ isn't a problem, but my age (70 yrs 10 mths) and the fact that I have always been a bit scared of all that I don't know about my own PC might be.

Don77 worked me through repairing a miserable problem I was having with a Malware search engine called "Isearch." The process was a real learning experience for me and I watched him working with someone else and began to think maybe, with some training, I could do for others what he did for me. So here I am :tazz: Blessings - Chuck521

jerry3003

jerry3003

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi!

A member of your staff "bananafanafo" helped me cleanup some problems with a Win ME laptop. This is a service I wish I had found a long time ago.

I would love to learn more about "Scumware" and be able to help others wipe it out. I have worked with PC's for a long time, but it has been all self taught. This Malware epidemic is a problem that needs a lot more groups like GeeksToGo.

Let me know how I can get started to on the road to being a fellow GEEK!!!

Jerry

:tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Welcome to GeekU to the following:

gmanual
JulieC
TomNJ
Chuck521
jerry3003

Good to have you!! :tazz:

tylenol_island

tylenol_island

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'd like to learn how to help people out.

Spyware SUCKS. Teach me to kill! :tazz:

If you still need help, I am most interested.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Welcome tylenol_island !!

cjrock8

cjrock8

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys, i'm in. cant wait to start

RJR1704

RJR1704

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Im looking to enroll into Geek U. Im curently a IT student for Network Security and i would love to learn more and add to the learning einvorment.

~RJR1704

Advertisements

mmiller1970

mmiller1970

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Like to join as a new helper.

Industry experience: started in '86 with DOS 3.1, worked up through Windows from v3.11 to 2003, with bits of Netware, MacOS, and IBM mainframes thrown in for good measure. <grin> Started officially as a hardware technician, moved to network technician, then network engineer and instructor (MCSE, MCT, CNP). Dropped certifications while spending 2 years in Russia as a Peace Corps volunteer. (Wow, are there a lot of pirate copies of Windows over there!) Returned to pick up Win 2000, just in time to have to catch up to W2K3. Whew!

Currently, am COO of Kolkidos, Inc. in Boise, Idaho. We manage small business' computer networks for them - everything from recommending and purchasing the hardware, through setting up the Cisco firewall and W2K3 servers and XP workstations, to maintaing everything with updates and regular maintenance work.

Thanks,

Matthew

m2zt

m2zt

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I want to join geeku!

I HATE ADWARE! ;) :tazz:

and i am also willing to learn more!

Edited by m2zt, 12 May 2005 - 04:07 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Welcome to GeekU to:

cjrock8
RJR1704
mmiller1970
m2zt

Good to have you! :tazz:

t-bone

t-bone

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm willing to help.

Started with a computer my dad built from a kit. Had a cassette tape as a storage medium, a converted B&W TV as the monitor, and a Teletype machine as a printer. When Tandy TRS-80 came out, we got one. Learned Basic on that. Used all 8KB of memory with my first program. (Convinced my dad to get the 16KB upgrade!) After graduating high school, dropped out of computer environment. Got back in just before the release of Windows 3.1. Picked up a copy of VB2.0 Pro and taught myself to program again. Did it for fun until I saw a need at work. Wrote a program, got noticed, now am a team lead for a development group that writes programs to design circuits.

Edited by t-bone, 12 May 2005 - 07:45 PM.

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
how can I start geek in training. In your add, you said that if I had any other IT training to post it. Just let me know when and where. I have plenty for the past 2 yrs.
ITT Tech (anaheim CA) and (Tennessee Technology Center at McKenzie)

and yes, I do enjoy helping others

Thanks