Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

It takes 3 min for "My Computer" to show my drives

• Please log in to reply

jjlorenzrn1

jjlorenzrn1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have a few weird things happening with my computer. I have tried all sorts of things all to no avail. Here is a list of most of the weird stuff:

1. When I click "My Computer it takes almost 3 minutes to show the drives on my computer.

2. The items on my start-up load, but they don't show up on the system tray, but they used to. When I check Task manager a process seems to be on the list for those programs.

3. I cannot access my scanner. The scanner turns on, and the device manager says it's working ok, but its not!

4. In Iexplorer I can't view source code for a page. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm taking a web design class and I need it. I can see it in Netscape, but not ie.

5. It used to be that I could type www.whatever .com and ie w2ould take me there, now I have to put http:// infront first. Iexplorer won't do it for me anymore.

6 I also had trouble with using my cd and dvd drives, but that's better now.

I've scanned for viruses, etc. from here to heaven and back...nothing.
I've reinstalled Win XP pro.
I looked through your files and tried fixing internet explorer, nothing there either.

I'm stumped. :tazz: I can't think of anything else to do. :)

JJ

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jjlorenzrn1...

You might try running this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

There may also be malware issues at play here...it probably wouldn't hurt to go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 04:54 PM.