Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anoying popup "awvts.dll

• Please log in to reply

opryjd

opryjd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can someone please help me delete this very anoying pest malware or what ever it is? The name of the file that keeps poping up every 2 minutes is called "awvts.dll".

I have WinPartol running on my winxp system to help prevent junk like this from automatically running. So it is WinPartol that keeps poping up a warning about this file trying to run itself. Here is what information WinPartrol gives me.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\awvts.dll which is an Internet Explorer Helper.

Although WinPartol gives me options to delete files and or remove them - this same file keeps coming back no matter what I do.

I also have done searches on my boot drive for such file and it show nothing even though I have selected to look in hidden files as well within the search options.

I also have opened Explorer and went to the above loacation where the file is supose to be but I find nothing there by the name of awvts.dll.

I have rebooted into Safe Mode and ran Hijackthis and found 2 files that pertained to this awvts.dll and checked them both and told Hijackthis to fix the checked items but I still get the same popups.

I would be very grateful if someone could walk me through how to get rid of this pesky critter. Thank you in advance and God bless.

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi,

We are sorry to have missed your log due to heavy traffic.

If you still need help, please post back a fresh Hijack This log.

We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

If the problem has been resolved, please let us know.

Edited by tampabelle, 20 September 2005 - 08:38 AM.