Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

yahoo sitebuilder

• Please log in to reply

jsharkey

jsharkey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi' I would like to use 1form with a list each being a link to another page in my site. The 1form only takes up 1/4 of the page and would like to link to similar pages. I don't want to keep opening new browsers, and when I link to open page in same browser it only opens in the 1form. I guess it's like a browser within a browser. yahoo give access to the following html with the option of addibg html before, inside and after the html
<1frame
src="bronx.html"
width="116"
height="350"
scrolling="auto"
frameborder="0"">
</iframe>
thank you for your help

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Hi' I would like to use 1form with a list each being a link to another page in my site.  The 1form only takes up 1/4 of the page and would like to link to similar pages.  I don't want to keep opening new browsers, and when I link to open page in same browser it only opens in the 1form.  I guess it's like a browser within a browser.

The correct code is <iframe> not <1frame>. Edit the page bronx.html, put all the links you want on that page. Once you click a link in the iframe, it'll load up in the iframe. If you want the link on the main page to load up in the iframe, use this code for the iframe

<iframe name="name" src="bronx.html" ...></iframe>

and this for the link:

<a href="link.html" target="name">

jsharkey

jsharkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you for responding, I'm lost
In site builder on the index.html page I pick from a menue 'iframe'. then
from a pop up I chose 'a page in my site' then pick "list.html" ( a list of ny county set up as links opened in same browser). then resize the iframe to 1/4 width of my web page. what I have is a scroll down list that I want to use to link to other pages in the site each the name of a county. when I click a link every thing opens in the iframe instead of getting the complete new page which is the same as the index page with an iframe of its own. I would get the complete new page if I picked new browser when i set up the links but I don't want pages opening on top of pages. The only html I can access regarding the iframe (if not for this problem the only html I would ever see) is
<iframe
scr="list.html"
width="116"
height="350"
scrolling="auto"
frameborder="0".
</iframe>
the other option I have in site builder is to insert html on a web page (both index.html and "a county name'.html)- a box appears in the middle of the page and you type in it. this box can't overlap anything on the page including the iframe.
I know this is long and maybe doesn't make sense and you help a lot of people so if you don't respond thank you for the first response
also, i so lost I can't even find my original post, only the ones that were near it.
thank you

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
First of all, I'd like to say the yahoo site builder is not a good html editor...actually, it's not even an html editor. You're better off using the advanced editor. On the geocities main page, you'll find a box on the right column with the title "Advanced Toolbox". Click on "HTML editor".

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, your lengthy explaination made me a little lost too :tazz: It would be easier for me to help if you posted the link to your index page. Meanwhile, I'll try to help you with the things that I do understand.

First of all, your iframe code is missing an > at the end. It would also help if you put some sort of message between the iframe tags in case of browsers that don't display iframes.

<iframe scr="list.html" width="116" height="350" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0">If you see this text, iframes are not enabled on your browser, please update to the newest version of Internet Explorer </iframe>

Put that code in your existing index.html page. Then open up list.html in the html editor. Put in the following code

<html>
<head>
<title>YOUR TITLE</title>
</head>

<body>
<ul>
<li><a href="county1.html">county1</a></li>
<li><a href="country2.html">county2</a></li>
<li><a href="country3.html">county3</a></li>
</ul>

</body>
</html>

You can of course change the county#.html and county# to whatever you want. What these two code does is to have list.html open up in the iframe, displaying links to county1, county2, and county3. When you click county#, it will open in the iframe, replacing list.html with county#.html

jsharkey

jsharkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ValueNY.com
I think I posted a link to my future site?
the links clinton and chautauqua work ( different browser)
the link bronx (same browser) is the problem.
The real problem is I don't know what I'm doing and
you musk be a good person to stay with this
thank you

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
OK, I'm still not sure if you want the links to open in the iframe, the original window, or a new window? You said that you do not want pages to open in new windows, but the clinton and chautauqua links do open in new windows. I do see something wrong with the bronx link, but so far, I'm not sure which part of the coding is wrong or how to fix it.

I think you have three choices here.

1. Redo the whole site with notepad or an html editor. Like I said before, yahoo site builder is confusing for most people (including me), and they're using codes that are more complicated than you need. I can help you redo the site and it'll work and look a little bit different than what it looks now, but it'll be easier to code and update.

2. Wait until I figure out how to fix the problem, but I might not be able to fix it. This way could be more work for us both than redoing the site.

3. Easy fix, and very possibly would not work. For the bronx link, you have this code <a href="bronx.html">bronx</a>. Instead, use this code <a href="bronx.html" target="_blank">bronx</a>. This will open it in a new window.

jsharkey

jsharkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you again for replying
What I want is a list of countys with each being a link to a page in my site that is named after that county. because the list would be to long for the page I put it in an iframe so a person can scroll down to the link they want- the county they want. I don't want anything to ever open up in the iframe or anythig other then the list to be in the iframe. The problem is if I set the link up to open in a new browser window a person on my site could end up opening up pages on top of pages on there computer. if i set up the link to open in the same browser window
to avoid pages being opened up on top of pages, instead of just going to the new page which is exactly like the index page with it's own iframe to the 1/4 left side of the page the new page opens in the iframe. I just want to use the iframe beacuse the list of links (county names) is to long for the page.

i'm trying to put the code you gave me in the link and will keep trying

for me to creat a page using html instead of the sitebuilder is much to advanced for me because my webpages will be in constant change for long time.

again , thank you for your response

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
OK, now I understand what you want the page to do :) . Use target="_parent" instead of _blank for the links to open up in the parent window of the iframe, which would be the index page in your case. There shouldn't be any new windows opening, and the links should not be opening in the iframe page.

Because you'll be constantly updating the site, you really should be using html not site builder. It'll be much easier to organize and update once you have set up the proper code.

The way the page is set up right now is not the best choice for a site with many subpages. It'll prove to be very difficult to update later on. That's why I said site builder shouldn't be used.

Anyways, tell me how the target code goes. If you're happy with the way things work just by using that code, then I suppose there's no use in me convincing you to switch to html :tazz:

jsharkey

jsharkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi,
thank you. the target code - replacing blank with parent is the answer, it works.
the problem now is sitebuilder does not allow access to it's code from within sitebuilder. What it lets you do is via the internet go to whats called my control panel and within that go to my file manager- it's a list of the pages I published from sitebuilder. there I can make the change in the target code. If I wanted the change reflected in sitebuilder I have to exit and go to sitebuilder and import the file with the changed target code- replace the original file in sitebuilder. To make matters worse, sitebuilder is not that good at importing files. for some reason things shift a little and the fonts din't appear as sharp?
site builder does allow you to insert your own html code on a page and this code can be accessed and changed from within sitebuilder. If you can help , what I need to do is create the complete county list with a few set up as links, and do this completly with html code. Over time I will be changing more and more county names to links. I,m asking a lot, but if you could help I would be gratful.
thank you.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Ah, nonono. You didn't need to go through that much trouble to edit the html code. Just go to file manager like you did before, and all your sitebuilder pages will have a sitebuilder icon on the left. There'll be a checkbox furthur to the left, and just check the page you want to edit, and click the edit button on the top.

Then you'll see a message that says something like "If you choose to use the advanced html editor, you'll no longer be able to edit this page in sitebuilder" After you agree with it, you'll see the html editor with all of the existing content (from sitebuilder) already loaded. So, you don't really need to start over if you don't want to.

Now, as for converting list.html to err..html, it's really easy. Put all of the following into list.html through the html editor. Delete everything sitebuilder has put in, but remember all the font names, size, colours, link colours, etc that you chose. We'll add that later.

<html>
<head>
<title>YOUR TITLE</title>
</head>

<body>
<ul>
<li><a href="bronx.html">bronx</a></li>
<li><a href="clinton.html">clinton</a></li>
<li><a href="chautauqua.html">chautauqua</a></li>
</ul>

</body>
</html>

See the part where it says <ul>? That makes an unordered list (with a round bullet in front of each line). If you wanted a different bullet, you can change it by adding a type code into the <ul> code.

for example, <ul type="square"> makes square bullets.

If you don't want lists at all, use this code:

<p align="justify">
<a href="bronx.html">bronx</a><br>
<a href="clinton.html">clinton</a><br>
<a href="chautauqua.html">chautauqua</a>
</p>

After you've edited list.html, you'll see some ugly purple or blue links. We'll change that after you give me all the link colours, font colours etc.

I also noticed your index page is a little messed up, there's a target link in areas of practiced, and the boxes on top seem to overlap each other. What happened there?

jsharkey

jsharkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
again thank you very much
it's monday and back to work, steinway factory in queens- a factory worker
I don't see myself getting near sitebuilder until the end of the week, but when I do I will will respond and publish so you can see. again thank you very much.
jerry

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Whoa, go lil_cat_luver...the HTML whiz!!!!

Nice!!

Rockett

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
No problem :) I think everyone should use notepad to code html. Site builder and yahoo geoticies as a whole annoys me :tazz:

:) html whiz eh??