Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer... hardware issue.

• Please log in to reply

torker

torker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having multiple issues with my computer lately. After losing video when I tried to change to dual view, I was forced to hard boot my computer. At this point it would no longer boot up and failed to post. After some frustration, I swapped out the power supply with a test one and the same issue occurred. When I put the original power supply back in figuring it wasnt a power supply issue, my computer mysteriously started to boot again.

I just accepted this and didnt ask too many questions. But when I was required to restart my computer, it began to start acting horribly slow. I narrowed this down to not a software issue (spyware, startup processes, etc), previously my computer flew and no software changes were made prior to this reboot.

Even before windows, the computer is horribly lagging during bootup. Before the windows splash screen, there is only a blank screen for approximatly 5 minutes then it goes into the windows splash screen and loads. Once into windows, it takes an abnormal amount of time to "load personal settings." Once onto the desktop and everything settles down, task manager reports a flucuating CPU usage between 85 and 90% while the system idle process reports 99 usage.

System specs are:
P4 2.4ghz socket 478
1gig RAM (2 sticks of 512mb PC2700)
GeForce FX 5600
4 IDE harddrives
IDE DVD-ROM
IDE DVD-RW
4 PCI Cards - (sound card, IDE controller, NIC, TV tuner)
3 LED fans
430watt Antec power supply

The power supply is brand new, had it in for about 20 days and there have been no new issues up to this point since it was installed. I can't remember the exact motherboard but it was fairly inexpensive. It has been installed for about 9 months with minimal sketchiness. For example, the computer not turning on at all when the power button is pressed, normally can get it working after some fiddling. But other than that, there have been no major issues. All the remaining components with the exception of the new power supply predate the motherboard.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You could help us by running Belarc Advisor, saving the page to your machine and posting it as an attachment, or copying and pasting the page contents into a post. It will provide more information about your machine.

http://www.belarc.com/index.html

Edited by Tyger, 15 September 2005 - 07:19 PM.

torker

torker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
attached is the Belarc Advisor output

Attached Files