Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defraging my 80 GB drive

• Please log in to reply

Black Blade

Black Blade

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have two, 80 Gig drives and I have loaded them both up with movies and tunes. Lately I have been freezing up (usually during the night when the system goes idle) which is requiring me to hit the reset button to get her going again.

I have neglected defraging my drives and after a few runs with the built in defragger, I downloaded a trial version of Diskeeper 9 for Home Users and have been running it back to back ever since but it seems to get me no better than:

57% fragmentation
213 fragged files
57831 excess fragments
1.79 average fragments per file

In other words...still a mess...and still freezing up on me!

I have since tried to copy all of the contents(that I want to keep) over to a folder on another puter on the network, but all the files are apparently set to read only and just gives me an error window when I try to move them. I go into the properties for the file and change the attributes by unchecking the read only box, but soon as I click OK, it just reverts back to having the read only attribute.

I am trying to get my files off the drive so I can reformat it, since it is so badly fragmented its not funny, then move the files back. But it looks like I cannot even do that...which would really suck since there is alot of files I would hate to lose.

Any ideas and/or suggestions is more than welcome!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Black Blade...

Try running the defrag in safe mode. Reboot and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence. Select Safe Mode and press Enter. Then use the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 07:09 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If by any chance you downloaded the files by P2P they will be in little fragments, the "pieces" that are sent by tcp/ip, and defragmenter won't put the pieces together because it isn't allowed to. To assemble the pieces into a single contigous file you have to copy them to another hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanx Tyger...I swear, I learn something new about every ten minutes in here!

wannabe1

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

If by any chance you downloaded the files by P2P they will be in little fragments, the "pieces" that are sent by tcp/ip, and defragmenter won't put the pieces together because it isn't allowed to. To assemble the pieces into a single contigous file you have to copy them to another hard drive.

View Post

I have tried to copy these files to another drive on our home network, but no luck, it just says that access is denied. In the properties of any of these files the READ ONLY box has a grey ceck in it, which disappears when I click it, but it comes right back as soon as I close the window. so don't really know how to proceed on that avenue at the moment...

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Black Blade...

Try running the defrag in safe mode.  Reboot and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence.  Select Safe Mode and press Enter.  Then use the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

wannabe1

View Post

Have tried this...and the program will not run..."unable to connect to program" or some such message.

Also, have set my trial version of Diskeeper to do a boot up defrag, but that don't seem to do anything...