Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot after memory/WinXP upgrade

• Please log in to reply

frogribbit

frogribbit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not sure if I have enough information to get an answer to a problem my Dad has with his computer but I thought I'd try. They have a 4 year old Gateway computer and were running Windows ME. They recently installed Win XP over Win ME. The computer was working but VERY slow. After determining that they only had 128 mb of RAM they purchased two additional 128 MB of RAM and installed it also. After they first installed it the computer booted up and they used it all day. That night they shut down Windows. The next morning the computer would not boot. So they tried taking the two 128mb RAM out and re-seating them. Once again the computer booted up and they were able to use it all day but after shutting it down that night they could not get it to boot again. Would bad memory chips cause this problem? Or perhaps a conflict over installing XP over ME? Thanks!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to try it with the two new sticks and leave the old one out. There may be enough difference betwen them that you have an incompatability problem.

Edited by Tyger, 15 September 2005 - 08:36 PM.