Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM freezes

• Please log in to reply

Ohno5Oh

Ohno5Oh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a novice when it comes to computers, so here is my question. I will sign on to AIM and after a few minutes or so, AIM will freeze up. So i go to task manager, then to processes to see that AIM is using all of the CPU (clueless to what that means) all i know is that probably is not supposed to happen. ANy help would be Appreciated.

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi

What version of AIM are you using??

Try disabling the AIM Today feature (in Sign On/Off references), the News Ticker, and the Stock Ticker.
Try AIM

If the problem continues, take the steps below:
1) Exit from AIM if it is running (by clicking once on the AIM icon in the "system tray" next to the system clock, and choosing the Exit menu item).
2) Find out which directory on your hard drive is used for the AIM cache files for your affected Screen Name.
Look into the following directories:
c:\documents and settings\<Windows_Username>\Application Data\Aim\<Your Screen Name>\urlcache
c:\documents and settings\Application Data\Aim\<Your Screen Name>urlcache
c:\windows\application data\aim\<Your Screen Name>\urlcache
c:\windows\aim95\<Your Screen Name>\urlcache

3) If any of those above "urlcache" directories exist, delete them. This won't damage AIM at all.
(If a lot of cache files have accumulated, it could take Windows quite a while to delete them.)
Try AIM again!!

If the problem still continues, the next step is to delete your Screen Name from the AIM Sign On screen, which will remove data for that Screen Name which is not removed during an uninstall.
Note: that this will delete all locally-stored data for the Screen Name in question (including your stored password, Buddy Icons, and Away Messages, but not including the groups and buddies on your Buddy List).
To do this, take the steps below:
1) Get to the AIM Sign On screen and make sure that the Screen Name field has the problem Screen Name selected.
2) Highlight the entire Screen Name and press the Delete key on your keyboard.
You should now be given a confirmation dialog asking if you are sure you want to delete the Screen Name.
3) Click on Yes. Now the Screen Name should not appear in the Screen Name dropdown list.
4) To make sure that AIM does not remember any settings for that Screen Name, exit AIM completely and then relaunch AIM.
(To completely exit AIM, you need to right-click on the AIM icon in the "system tray" next to the system clock, and choose the Exit item from the menu that appears.)
5) Type the Screen Name back into the Screen Name field (just overwrite any Screen Name that is already there), and see if the problem is fixed.

Edited by Linkmaster, 17 September 2005 - 05:03 AM.

poopypants4real

poopypants4real

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running Vista. I was having freezing problems and found some more help on another site. Right click the aim 6 icon in you start menu, properties, compatibility, run this prog in compatibility mode for: I selected windows 98*poopypants4real and it worked. File transfer was a little glitchy, but it worked so i left it alone. AIM tech support can kiss my.... a week and no response. It seems that they keep running updates for AIM but don't realize that computers come with vista now.