Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Memory and Now Lost

• Please log in to reply

Widkidone

Widkidone

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well what i am doing is trying to upgrade 1GB of PC-3200 (400) TO 2GB PC-3200 (400). What i have done first was make sure i was grounded before i open my case. I open my case. Then i take out the two 512mb of memory and replaced them with two 1Gb of memory. No big deal right??? Wrong!

Now before i close the case i made sure that the video card is secured and the memory sticks are secured as well. The tower case is now secured.

I turn on the tower then turn on the monitor, but the monitor is not responding. What is the little light by the power button is flashing. The monitor screen is completely black. There is NO warnings of any type or anything.

Shut off the computer then i reopen the case swap the new ram back to the old ram and i am getting the same problem. The video card i have tested in my other system and it works with no problems.

:tazz: Now what would be the answer to this riddle? I have no idea what would cause this. Any ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. It could be lots of things, but lets begin by checking the obvious. Make sure the RAM and video card is seated well in the slot, all the way in. Can you boot into safe mode? It could be a problem with the motherboard...I always worry when I see a motherboard "flex" as I install upgrades, like RAM. One test you could do is to remove all of the ram and boot up. You should hear "beep" codes from your system speaker (this assumes the system speaker is working). If no beep codes the motherboard is bad.

Post back with your full system specs. These may give insight and generate some more ideas.