Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard buying

• Please log in to reply

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My friend wants to buy a new motherboard so, he's looking for the cheapest motherboard that has atleast 3 PCI Express slots and fits a PGA478 socket.He would prefer an Intel make.Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Your friend just needs to start shopping. Google is a good tool for that. Possible places to look http://www.geeks.com/ and newegg.com. There are a multitude of others.

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi.  Your friend just needs to start shopping.  Google is a good tool for that.  Possible places to look http://www.geeks.com/  and newegg.com.  There are a multitude of others.

View Post

We've searched everywhere but we simply couldn't find a motherboard that fits the pga 478 socket and has PCI Express slots.We really need help. :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
My guess would be if you can't find it in searching the internet with google and appropriately defining and refining your searches, it may not exist.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I've never heard PGA478 before. I am assuming it means Socket 478...?

If so, then check out this one....

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I've never heard PGA478 before.  I am assuming it means Socket 478...?

If so, then check out this one....

View Post

Yes socket 478 and pga478 are one and the same.We would like to highlight the fact that we are looking for a motherboard with atleast 2 PCI Express 16x slots.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Such boards arent yet available for purchase and when they do they will be for the current socket typed not the old ones.

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Such boards arent yet available for purchase and when they do they will be for the current socket typed not the old ones.

View Post

But we've seen so many models with PCI Express 16x slots that fit other sockets like the 775 etc.Yet haven't found a socket 478 motherboard with PCI Express 16x slots.Is PCI Express 16x incompatible with or what ? :tazz:

Edited by gamermaimer, 18 September 2005 - 11:57 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
PCI-ex is being put on new boards as when they designed 478 boards it wasnt out, i dont look at intel hardware much so i dont know if there are any pci-ex 478 ones ill take a quick look. But you cant get two 16x slots they are for gfx cards only and you can get two of the slots but they only run at x8 speed when you do that.

You need to do some research on the hardware sites there have been loads of articles on PCI-ex of late.

From what i see they dont do PCI-Ex in 478 i would be surprised if they did manufacturers dont want to put new features on old boards as they want you to switch to the new socket types and models.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 September 2005 - 05:57 AM.

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

PCI-ex is being put on new boards as when they designed 478 boards it wasnt out, i dont look at intel hardware much so i dont know if there are any pci-ex 478 ones ill take a quick look. But you cant get two 16x slots they are for gfx cards only and you can get two of the slots but they only run at x8 speed when you do that.

You need to do some research on the hardware sites there have been loads of articles on PCI-ex of late.

From what i see they dont do PCI-Ex in 478 i would be surprised if they did manufacturers dont want to put new features on old boards as they want you to switch to the new socket types and models.

View Post

But aren't there some sort of socket converters that convert a socket 478 processor to fit say, socket 775 ? By the way is the actual performance affected if a High-End PCI Express graphics card is fitted to an AGP 8x slot via bridge chip ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There isnt converters unless you have a motherboard from ECS i think which the cpu is mounted on different cards. PCI-Ex and AGP are not compatible like i said do some research there is loads of articles on the subject and it will explain it to you.

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

There isnt converters unless you have a motherboard from ECS i think which the cpu is mounted on different cards. PCI-Ex and AGP are not compatible like i said do some research there is loads of articles on the subject and it will explain it to you.

View Post

Thanks for the guidance.