Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do i add a password to my pc?

• Please log in to reply

stpaulibhoy

stpaulibhoy

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
how do i add a password so that each time the pc is turned on before it boots up its asks you for a password?

or is there anything else you could recommend to stop unauthorised access to my laptop?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to go into the bios and set a password. There are usually two passwords that you can set in the bios, those are setup and boot. Setup password would be asked for when you try to access the bios, the boot password is self-explanatory.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you have two protection options here, you can use them both depending on your operating system.
first - you can enable the password protection on your BIOS, hence everytime the P boots before it even gets to Windows it asks you for a BIOS password.

second - enable a password on your Windows Profile. You see this option depends if you have NT workstations or 95/98/ME workstation.

stpaulibhoy

stpaulibhoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

you have two protection options here, you can use them both depending on your operating system.
first - you can enable the password protection on your BIOS, hence everytime the P boots before it even gets to Windows it asks you for a BIOS password.

second - enable a password on your Windows Profile. You see this option depends if you have NT workstations or 95/98/ME workstation.

View Post

thank. it windows xp am on. how do i get into bios?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
usually F1, F2, F10 or delete to get into the bios. Check with your laptops manual and it should tell you if none of the above work

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And the Windows XP password is useless because it is so easy to get around if someone knows what they are doing.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
if you have a valuable data on your system there is a software package that would encrypt your HDD in one password.
This is a high protection method.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
press delete button on your keyboard after turning on computer and before it boots up.