Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 SE won't load

• Please log in to reply

Bobby J

Bobby J

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm trying to help a friend with an old tired computer that won't recognize the USB ports. Not the problem though. She broke the door on her CD Rom Drive so I hooked up a CD burner to the computer. Turn in on and it gets to the Windows 98 logo screen and stops. THe hard drive is still making noise (normal) but it goes no farther. I then tried an older CD Drive and the same problem. I have not tried safe mode or starting it with no CD Drive hooked up yet. Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this before and can give some advice. Thank You

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you connecting the cd-rom drives to the same IDE cable as the hdd??

If so, did you make sure you jumpered it to slave and connected it to the middle connector on the IDE cable??

Murray

Bobby J

Bobby J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will check tonight. Thank you.

Bobby J

Bobby J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That was it. I should have checked that but the sun was in my eyes, my dog ate my homework. Anyway thank you for your speedy help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are very welcome.. :tazz:

Murray