Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, i have a <insert word that starts with cr and end in ppy> e-machine here.

Had to format and reinstall windows, so the drivers went to [bleep]. Anyhoo, i found the drivers using the information everest gave, all except the audio drivers. It is Intel AC' 97 sound but i cant find the drivers (ones that work) anywhere. So i stuck in an old card i had laying around, the drivers installed ok, but still could get anything through the speakers, so i tried another i just happened to have around, drivers, no sound.

Any ideas how to fix this? i can use the other soundcards or whatever.

Cheers
Dave

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
When you installed the second sound card, did you disable the onboard sound card first?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
the new card should've disabled the onboard. but then again, its an emachine :tazz:

I think the option to disable onboard sound is in the bios. also check that you havent accidentally muted sound or anything. if you use one of your other cards make sure that it is selected as the output device in control panel.

asdf

asdf

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have this problem too, i just reformatted no sound.. i put in my dell resource cd. installed the driver they had there.. restarted.. still doesn't have any sound.. any one help?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
asdf :
We can help you but first could you start your own topic please, otherwise we get very confused!

Thef0rce :
Unlike video cards, onboard sound cards are not normally automatically disabled by the addition of an add-on sound card. You're probably right about the setting for disabling the audio being in the bios though. If its not, then it will be disabled by jumper on the motherboard.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
hmm. you're right about onboard sound not being disabled by adding a sound card. I think its right to say that they very rarely conflict though. I've always had a sound card in my builds and never bothered to disable onboard sound and I havent had problems *yet*. :tazz:

it can be annoying to restore drivers after reformatting. try and download the drivers for the onboard sound from the manufacturer's website. I know I had onboard graphics once that actually didnt work right with the driver that came on the restore cd. odd but true.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ahhh! ill try that when i get back at it.

On e-machines, i hate them...such a rip off, my friend payed out a good £400 quid for a celeron D with 512 of ram, i can make a AMD AthlonXP3200+ machine, with a half decent graphics card and the same ram for about £352.