Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New sys probs

• Please log in to reply

Dobbo1337

Dobbo1337

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm having some troubles with my new system.
I got everything in properly it boots up, then i get the black screen with the "for some reason windows did not start properly a new hardware installation or w/e it says may have caused this, though when i select any of the options, like start windows normally, last known good configuration point etc... my comp just restarts
Can anyone help me here im really :tazz:
Thx for any help

Advertisements

Dobbo1337

Dobbo1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz: Bump :)
:) :)

Dobbo1337

Dobbo1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) please :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Could you give us a bit more info about the system, in particular, did you buy this computer with Windows pre-installed or is this a system you've built yourself? Did you perform a fresh installation of XP on this system?

Dobbo1337

Dobbo1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
first of all thx for replying.
Well, it's basically my old hardrive (XP)
I installed a new motherboard and processor into my system and now for some reason it just wont start
Im using the hard drive right now so there doesnt seem to be any faults with it.
Um, no i aint installed a fresh version of xp on to it.
:tazz: is that necessary or something when putting a new motherboard in? :)

Edited by Dobbo1337, 16 September 2005 - 05:42 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thought that might be the case - you didn't wipe the drive first & perform a fresh install of XP, right?
XP was configured for the older pc, with different hardware to the new system & therefore different drivers. Although in theory it is possible to transplant a drive in this way without having to reinstall windows, it doesn't work smoothly every time.

You could try booting from the XP CD, when the options to 'setup windows XP now' and 'repair XP installation using Recovery console' appear, press enter. Do not select recovery console.
After the license agreement, setup will search for existing windows installations.
Select the installation you wish to repair & press R to start the repair.

If theres anything important on the drive, then back it up first. If there's nothing of any importance at all, then wipe the drive completely & perform a fresh install of XP instead.

Dobbo1337

Dobbo1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok thanks ill give it a whirl

Dobbo1337

Dobbo1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
problem solved thx samm :) :tazz: :) :)