Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot transfer files

• Please log in to reply

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just finished building my wife a new computer, and I'm trying to get her IE favorites out of her Documents and Settings folder. Everytime I try to go in it I get: "is not accessable, access denied"

I went into folder properties and it's stuck on read-only, I don't know how to get that to go away. All of her pictures are still on there too, and I'm afraid I won't be able to get them off.

I got a clean install of windows on her new hard drive and still have the old install on her now secondary hard drive.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

I went into folder properties and it's stuck on read-only,
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

View Post

The folder properties is not the problem -- many people make that mistake. Folders cannot be 'read only' - only files. If you look carefully in the folder properties box for any folder, you'll see that the 'read only' property has a solid block inside the check-box. This is telling you that, for folders, 'read only' does not apply. If a folder was read only there would be a tick in that check-box, not a solid block. You can put a tick in there if you click in the box a couple of times, but when you next open it's properties the tick will be gone and the solid block replaces it.

Black Blade

Black Blade

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

The folder properties is not the problem -- many people make that mistake. Folders cannot be 'read only' - only files. If you look carefully in the folder properties box for any folder, you'll see that the 'read only' property has a solid block inside the check-box. This is telling you that, for folders, 'read only' does not apply. If a folder was read only there would be a tick in that check-box, not a solid block. You can put a tick in there if you click in the box a couple of times, but when you next open it's properties the tick will be gone and the solid block replaces it.

View Post

the million dollar question tho...is how do you go about copying files over onto another drive, if you keep getting that "not accessible" problem...surely there must be a way to transfer files to another drive...I am in the same boat, having to transfer files off of a hard disk I have, so that I can reformat, then tranfer the files back again.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You could try this
Move files
Let me know how you go or if you need help

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Sometimes it's a matter of ownership, too.
http://support.micro...1&Product=winxp

Johanna

Black Blade

Black Blade

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

You could try this
Move files

View Post

cannot get anywhere with this approach...seems don't/can't get access to the files to transfer them

Black Blade

Black Blade

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

You could try this
Move files

View Post

I tried this but once I got into safe mode to change these ownerships..I was lost...what to change etc

(I case you are wondering Ihave the exact same problem as the original thread...need to back up my files and cannot get the permissions/access apparently)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
The place I pointed to is not to transfer files it is how to backup files and then restore them to where you want.
If you go through the steps I showed you and you can't see backup then you have to install backup.
Install backup