Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP's done it again....

• Please log in to reply

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
:tazz:
Ok, I have used all of the following spyware/malware stuff:
spybot
avg
cleanup
ad-aware
ewido
System checks out ok and it seems to be clean.

I have also look at the processes running. Nothing looks to be unusually here. But the manager is showing cpu at %100 and my computer is showing signs that the cpu is overburdened: it takes forever to open firefox, even longer to close firefox, and other programs like MS outlook aren't even worth trying to use- by the time you can read an email 3 days might have well as past.

What could be going on here? This problem just started happening a week ago...

How can I attack this issue?

Thanks in advance!!!

Clato

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. With 100 percent usage of cpu I would suspect some malicious malware. Work though the malware removal guide at http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852
This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have trouble after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
i dont reccomend this but when my cpu is on 100% i open task manager cick the prossess tab and simply delete the one thats running at 90% +

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Customcomp,

I saw a program under processes that was running at 80% and ended it process. The name of the program was realsched.exe. Have you heard of it? Do you think it would be ok for me to delete it from my computer?

Thanks for the advice

Clato

steve farmery

steve farmery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Customcomp,

I saw a program under processes that was running at 80% and ended it  process. The name of the program was realsched.exe. Have you heard of it? Do you think it would be ok for me to delete it from my computer?

Thanks for the advice

Clato

View Post

What is it?
Real Player Scheduler - realsched.exe

What does it do?
realsched.exe - The Real Player automatic update utility. It has no real functional purpose. I would certainly stop this from running on startup.

Disable RealPlayer realsched.exe

MP3/AudioWhen you install RealPlayer, it will add a process called realsched.exe to your startup configuration. realsched.exe periodically checks the Internet for updates. Even worse, even if you take it out of your startup configuration in the registry, simply running RealPlayer will make it return. While realsched.exe is relatively benign, I don't like processes running on my system without my permission. Here's how to disable it.

- Launch RealPlayer
- Click on the Tools and choose Preferences
- Under the Automatic Services category, choose Message Center
- Press the button marked "Configure Message Center"
- UNCHECK the option labeled Checking - Check for new messages
- Choose Yes when the warning pops-up

If you haven't already, run MSCONFIG to remove it from your startup configuration as well.

Edited by steve farmery, 20 September 2005 - 10:47 AM.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey oOpsicle

Seriously, at this point go to the Malware Forum, There are 2 worms and one trojan that run as realsched.exe. With CPU usage at 100%, I would suspect that IT IS NOT REALPLAYER!!.

The experts in the malware forum will help get your machine running lean again. :tazz:

Edited by brianmil0923, 20 September 2005 - 11:22 AM.

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Customcomp,

I saw a program under processes that was running at 80% and ended it  process. The name of the program was realsched.exe. Have you heard of it? Do you think it would be ok for me to delete it from my computer?

Thanks for the advice

Clato

View Post

Yeah i would say it is ok to delete.

But have a look if its in CAPS LOCK because i once i had two cpuidle prossesses running i new there was only supost too be one so i killed the other one ( the one in caps lock ) and it turned out to be a nasty virus!!

:tazz:

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well I got rid off the program, and the computer has been puttin along just fine for the last few days. It looks all clear.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Clato