Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Resource Drain

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have previously been advised by technician to keep Desktop Icons to a minimum because of Windows having to load up all icons, thereby affecting startup speed.

I notice that under START-FAVORITES-MEDIA shows a long list of media sites, such as Fox News, AOL, MSNBC etc. There are quite a few. Does having this long list inhibit speedy startup or memory drain?

Thanks for all past assistance.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
No, this shouldnt be a huge problem, even if it did drain any memory, it will be so little having no actual visual affect, so it dont matter. I guess it would help deleted them if you dont you dont use the sites, it will make your favourite look much neater. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
waynf,,,

Desktop Icons themselves use no resources...they are just links to applications or documents stored on your machine.

The links under Favorites in the Start up menu are just that...links. They are using no resourses other than taking up space. If there are a lot of links you no longer use, you can clean the out as spike_hacker_inc suggested. Just right click on the link and click Delete.

wannabe1