Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

eicnoc

eicnoc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Every time I turn on my pc windows installer starts and tries to install something called PhotoGallery then asks to insert disc 1. I haven't a clue what this program might be. How can I stop this irratating occurance????

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Eicnoc, Welcome to G2G,

Sounds like you may have a malware problem. Please goto this Forum and our malware experts will help you. Please read the instructions carefully and follow them step by step.

Edited by brianmil0923, 16 September 2005 - 11:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi eicnoc...Welcome to G2G!

Try this...Click Start then Run and type msconfig and click "Ok"...under the "Startup" tab (top, far right) look in the list of programs for Photo Gallery or similar (if present) and uncheck the box next to it...Click "Apply" and then "Ok" and reboot. You will get a dialog box on the desktop after restart, put a check in the checkbox in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 September 2005 - 11:28 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi eicnoc,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

Has the suggestions above worked?

eicnoc

eicnoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
MSCONFIG was the first thing I tried and I see nothing that even resembles "PhotoGallery" in there, I suppose I could uncheck each box one at a time to see if I can find it that way. I haven't had time to check out the possibility of a malware problem yet.

Thanks

eicnoc

eicnoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went to the malware forum and went throught the instructions carefully. My machine is clean yet I'm still being haunted by the elusive PhotoGallery.

Thanks anyway... :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, search for photogallery and see if any show as programme files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It may be possible that the HiJackThis log pertaining to the PhotoGallery was not taken out during your malware cleanup due to the fact that it normally isn't a bad program and therefore a malware technician would not have had you remove the HJT entry pertainining to it. Did you tell the malware technician that you have this problem in your malware thread?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, as for you saying you could check each MSConfig item one by one, what I suggest you do is disable all of them, reboot and then see if the problem is still there. It's alot easier then going one by one and then after the time spent you find out that it wasn't even being caused by a setting in the startup tab of msconfig.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
there is one more thing you can try. be VERY VERY careful with this. click on this LINK and follow all the directions. after installing run the program, if you see photo gallery listed, remove it. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHINGELSE......

please post back how you make out

eicnoc

eicnoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That did it. Brian, you're brilliant. Windows Install Cleanup worked!!

Thanks

suraj_s2

suraj_s2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Brian,

I am also facing simillar problem. Whenever I start a files search in XP Windows Installer starts automatically (pops up) Then it starts configuring Microsoft Officer 2000 Premium

This is how it starts:
I open explorer
Then i clcik on Search
Then I enter a file name
By the time i click search button, Windows Installer pops up
Then it starts configuring Microsoft Office 2000 Premium
It looks for CD
I don't have CD
I click on Canel
It again start configuring MS office 2000 Premium
I agin cancel it
It repeats 4 times & then my search option starts.

I loaded Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
It lists the program's names
There is a program in the list - Microsoft Office 2000 Premium

Should I remove it?
If i remove it will my MS office wll get un-installed? I don't want to un-install MS office 2000.

I only want to stop this anoying poup up stat og windows installer

Can u help me out?

Suraj