Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Little suggestion...

• Please log in to reply

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
I was just being bored (like always :tazz: ) and thought of this...
When viewing the topics, the little box at the bottom that shows the users that are viewing the thread/forum and it's color coded to the user's position (for lack of better word)...I was thinking if there is a different color than light grey that can be used to represent Geek U students...something a little more noticable (sp?) I guess...

Just something I was thinking about and thought I'd share...Great Site here I love it!

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Steamhead! :) I will point this suggestion out to our admin when he returns from his anniversary trip! :) He's checking in while away, but I'm trying to only point him towards priority things so he will get back OFF here and go have fun!! :tazz:

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
ok thanks Kat, I dont mean for this to be a priority at ALL...just a little..err..."observation" of mine lol

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's my reasoning behind the colors. I think the color coded names make it easy for visitors and members to see how many people are online helping at any one time, and gives them confidence that there are people online (usually 24/7). It also helps both staff and members to identify a modertor or admin when needed (at most forums red is admin, and blue is moderator) While GeekU is very important to this site, I don't think the average vistor cares how many GeekU members are online.

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Maybe the better point to make is that light gray text (like this paragraph as an example) on the light grayish-blue background is indeed lower visual contrast and becomes difficult to read for visually impaired readers, as I would have to agree and as noted on some site-design references. I had noticed this issue on the front page of the forum even before seeing this post and it reminded me of my thoughts early on when looking at the site's design, etc.

OK - enough of the light gray text for now, this darker text, like this sentence on light backgrounds, becomes much easier to read when a higher contrast is provided, especially for extensive information. The same is true for white text on black or dark backgrounds (i.e., high-contrast text for either case)...

But something like this light yellow color on a light background would even be more troublesome for many readers/viewers, as noted here by example (selecting the yellow text makes it easier to read because the contrast changes/improves).

Not to be critical, but as a sugestion, good site design often considers visual ergonomics to help facilitate rapid visual processing of things like the forums & topics list, forum info, who's online (simply meaning quickly processed and easy to read), new posts/topics info, and especially lengthy text posts where maximum contrast enhances readability, better visual acuity, and generally reduces eye strain for extended reading sessions.

Having said that, I also have to agree with admin that color coding is indeed great for rapid visual acuity and identification, pattern recognition when the colors and backgrounds render the information legible, and to actually improve visual bandwith and info identification and processing. But some "color" combinations can actually degrade the readability and usability, as light gray text on a light gray-bluish background appears to be the case, at least IMO...

Edited by cyberCrank, 23 September 2005 - 10:15 PM.

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Nice way of putting it! :tazz:

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
** But I should also add (and would be remiss to not note) that this site is super regarding layout, content, and responsiveness. Plus this site especially garners admiration and respect regarding the rapport exhibited by the admins, moderators, and staff; the level of professionalism :tazz: exceeds other sites that I have seen or visit and hence provides a strong appeal to return and to participate. Although my focus and background is scientific and technical, I realize that these desirable and good attributes or qualities for sites always trump and out weigh design issues like this gray-text issue discussed here, but every little bit helps to refine and present an attractive and gravitating impression... **

Edited by cyberCrank, 24 September 2005 - 08:53 AM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Looks to me like a change has been made, green same as staff members just not bolded,

BTW the Yellow mabe it's just me but I can't even read what you wrote there :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yeah, I'm trying green for GeekU, just not bolded as staff are. I kinda like it. :tazz:

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Thanks Admin I was waiting for this day when this would happen and our usernames would be seen.

Thanks

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Yeah, I'm trying green for GeekU, just not bolded as staff are. I kinda like it.

Me too, But you know what happens when I agree with it
*Kiss of death*

:tazz:

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
wow...cool...looks pretty nice! Thanks admin! :tazz:

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

BTW the Yellow mabe it's just me but I can't even read what you wrote there  :tazz:

View Post

Well -- that was not by accident, but was specifically by design to make it overly difficult to read and to simply "illustrate", by exaggeration, of what not to do :). It illustrated that it is even harder to read than the light-gray text on a light-gray-bluish background and served its purpose of a low-contrast "illustration". That is why I indicated:

selecting the yellow text makes it easier to read because the contrast changes/improves

to further illustrate that by simply "selecting" that yellow text causes the background-to-foreground contrast to change/improve and indeed makes it easier to read, as an exaggerated case in point, by interactive illustration. The fact that you could not read it was exactly the point being illustrated, so now you know why... :)

Now a final comment on the new update admin did for the green GeekU vs. the bold Staffer green. This is exactly the type of color coding that not only serves to improve ease of reading, but also exhibits similar color coding and means a similar future function of "potentially" becoming a future bold green GtG Staffer. So that choice is doubly good to improve readability and to lay the foundation for the GeekU members to potentially become fully functional bold Staffers.

nice job admin...

admin++

Edited by cyberCrank, 24 September 2005 - 12:19 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We aim to please! :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well just to put this topic to bed, it seemed the green made it difficult for some to distinguish staff from GeekU. Since GeekU members are probably more of a super member than junior staff, we've decide to make them bold black. :tazz: