Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Get Ownership of files and folders?

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi Black Blade,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony

Do you have windows XP Home or Pro?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

I managed to get my files over to the wife's puter by her copying all the files over, then I deleted them from my drive, a bit time consuming but got the job done.

Thats one way but not really the answer if you want to make sure you have good backups

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Hi Black Blade,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony

Do you have windows XP Home or Pro?

View Post

Hey Tony, like the site..lots of good info. I am running XP Home...have a copy of Pro around somewheres but never bothered to change over to it since Home was working fine for all our needs.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you thought of putting windows XP Pro on your computer?

Do you have any firewalls on both computers?

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
what would be the advantages of going with Pro, have never done it so far cuz never figured worth it...I used it on another system and it sure looks and feels the same. Our firewalls are off for sake of the home network (it caused hassles); we have the router firewall enabled for security of the network.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.geekstogo...9&hl=difference

Johanna

ronto1956

ronto1956

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi...
Listen i'm an older computer geek.. from back in the day...Plse trust me on this one...

Sir...the very best utility that you can buy that will (NOT WOULD) fix your computer
internal files is... NORTON UTILIES.....PERIOD. these new version of grand daddy noron...makes me laugh...really... i mean the net is full of these so call fixer program.... give me a break.... norton utilies has every thing... from registrt, to disk optimazer.... the con side to norton is ....well.....ahaaaa... NONE... but dont believe me...do your homework on it, and compare.... I PROMISE YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU...

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

When I right click on a file and then click Properties, I don't have a tab "Security"

View Post

If you don't have a "Security" tab, then your disk is not NTFS, most likely FAT32, and you can convert to NTFS if additional security is what you want

cruxado

cruxado

• Pip
  • 1 posts

When I right click on a file and then click Properties, I don't have a tab "Security"

You have to enter Windows via SAFE MODE (press F8 before windows boot). Select Safe Mode (press enter) and then select Windows XP PRO. Then click on the "hidden" Administrator account and follow the steps provided. :tazz: