Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware drivers won't load - invalid data

• Please log in to reply

sbarde

sbarde

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The last two devices I've tried to load have returned with a code 28 error and invalid data. One device was a Canon Powershot 400 via USB, the other was an AverMedia EZMaker DVD PCI card.

Other than that the system runs fine.
WinXP SP2
VIA Chipset
Celeron 2.2

Diamond Stealth S120 - last good device loaded

Spybot -S&D , current and clean
Adaware - current and clean
AntiVir - current and clean

RegEdit -
HKEY .... for EXMaker set permissions to "full"

Very open to suggestions......... to fixing this problem anyways

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Just a few notes - off the top my head -

(1) Did you close your [ANTI VIRUS] & [FIREWALL] programs when INSTALLING - Sometimes they trip over the INSTALLATION process -

(2) Check your IRQ sharing - may be a problem with AverMedia EZMaker DVD PCI card - Not supposed to be - BUT [VIDEO] - [AUDIO] still do not like SHARING resources -

(3) Your USB [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] is VIA Chipset - It depends on version - but - (VIA - ALi - SiS) - [HCI] have known USB issues - that need to be worked around -

(4) How many USB devices do you have? - Maybe try different USB Port -

(5) The USB Driver should be loaded 1st - without camera/device attached/connected - then restart PC to [INSTALL] - USB DRIVERS are [WINDOWS INSTALLED] and must be present befor USB devices are connected for INITIAL installation - Now connect camera/device to USB PORT [AFTER] WINDOWS has started - [PLUG & PLAY] should now [FIND NEW DEVICE] - and install the camera/device -

(6) You should see a USB [SAFE TO REMOVE] Icon in Right Bottom of Task Tray on Monitor - You will probably be required to use this when disconnecting or turning OFF camera -

(7) Check that the [PLUG & PLAY] BIOS SETTING is [ENABLED]

(8) Check that you have the latest DRIVERS - Look on DEVICE's WEB SITE -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 September 2005 - 01:17 PM.

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Jack123 - thanks for the ideas

I've disabled antivirus and firewall and tried again - no effect

Uninstalled all USB, reloaded USB
- camera recognized but driver load still "invalid data"
- loaded PCI card - no effect

Only USB devices - camera (switched to another computer) and the printer (works fine - loaded long ago)

I ran "pnpreg -l" per Microsoft recommenations just in case it was subject to the video card problems - no effect

Changed registry permissions for all enum and PCI to full access - no effect

Drivers (those that work and those that don't) are all up to date

I removed the video card and problem still existed

Reran Spybot S&D w/ advanced options - no problems found other than my overwriting of the permissions in enum and PCI

Adaware still clean - configured according to geekstogo instructions

Still searching - still in need of ideas

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Jack123,

Here are the IRQ conflicts - could these be contributing? Suggestions?

IRQ 5 Diamond S120 128MB DDR Radeon 9550
IRQ 5 D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E)
IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 5 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
IRQ 5 Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller

IRQ 11 Multimedia Controller
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can disable your serial and printer ports in Device Manager to free up some IRQs.

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Would an IRQ conflict cause a driver load failure? In the past (old DOS and early windows days) it caused erratic device behaviors but not driver loading failures - mind you that was easier manipulation with ini versus registry entries.

With WinXP Home I've read that you can't change or manipulate IRQs - is that really true or how do we do it now?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB & IRQ Conflicts
Date: 19th Sept-2005

Sorry - for taking so long for reply -

Is this IRQ assignments from your [BOOT UP] or is from WINDOWS [HARDWARE RESOURCES] folder in ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS?

IRQ-5 is a very busy – Video – Audio – Wireless PCI device + 3 USB [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACINGS] on it & maybe it had your camera on it –

There is a way to change the IRQ Assignments – BUT – [It is dangerous to do] – Too much room for error – Can cause Register Error – I would not nor do I want to try to lead you thru that procedure – but there may be a way to sneak – (I think) – around the Resources Controlled by [AUTO(ESCD)] EXTENDED SYSTEM CONFIGURATION DATA – The Automatic Resource Assignments -
________________________________________________________________________________

[NOTES ON YOUR LAST POST] – just my observances -

Now you only listed 2 Types of USB [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] – in your last POST
1- USB [UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] which is a USB 1X – Software managing Controller
2- USB [ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] which is USB 2.0 Controller

You did not include the 3rd Type [HCI] – in your last POST –
The Hardware Managing 1X USB [OPEN HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] Controller –

Some of your earlier USB 1X devices may have DRIVERS that are supported by this USB Controller – so that may be source of some USB problems –

You probably have this USB Controller – but did not list it because it was assigned to a NON-CONFLICTING IRQ ASSIGNMENT – and because it is a common Controller for the VIA Chipset –
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Here is an OUTLINE to Enhance USB – Read it over - & hope STAFF & OTHERS – critique – and enhance method with comments & suggestions –

My scheme – 1st – is to outwit the AUTO Resource Assignments is to free up some Resources & then Uninstall & Reinstall the PnP – PCI Devices in a LOGICAL CONTROLLED MANNER – So that we can have some influence on IRQ Assignments - Usually you install as you obtain new devices – You may have to FREE UP an IRQ just before the Reinstallation – Instead of ALL AT ONE TIME – so as to have better guide influence on the selection process – Then 2nd is to – ENHANCE USB – you should purchase a GOOD USB 2.0 NON – (ALI – VIA – SIS USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE) PCI CARD – You can obtain such a card that has 4 REAR USB PORTS & 1 INTERNAL USB PORT – that can have an internal cable reaching to front of case for USB 2.0 HUB that is [“Known Compatible to CARD”] in Front BAY SLOT – This will give back 6 USB PORTS –

The problem with USB is that – The USB STANDARDS – did not include/define – THE USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE – It was left up to the PC Manufacturers – And USB Demand/popularity outgrew the PC Manufacturers USB INTEGRATION Knowledge – [NOT USB Technology] –

Here are the 8 General Steps: - Read over & discuss – It requires a little work on your PC – but I do not think it has anything that you have not done already – it just gives more definition and a purpose -

1 - Get rid of all VIA – USB – [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] –
2 - Then free up some IRQ Resources – Maybe just 1 at time –
3 - Then clear IRQ-5 of all conflicting devices & leave [VIDEO] assigned to IRQ-5 – (AGAIN 1 at a time)
4 - Then Reinstall [AUDIO] – [WIRELESS PCI] – (1 at a time) – and Hope they get assigned to [NEWLY FREED] IRQ –
5 - Then purchase a USB 2.0 PCI CARD that does not have (Ali – VIA – SiS) USB [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACING] –
6 - Install (NEW) – USB 2.0 PCI CARD – With NON – (Ali – VIA – SiS) – USB HOST CONTROLLERS
7 - Install NON Ali – VIA – SiS USB [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] –
8 - Install USB DEVICES using [NEW USB PORTS] on NEW – USB 2.0 PCI CARD

Make a BACKUP and make sure you have a RECOVERY POINT – to recover from - I tried not to play with VIDEO – By removing all other applications on IRQ-5 & leaving VIDEO there – Only do 1 removal at a time & 1 reinstallation at a time & establish a new Recovery Point at each operation – The only IRQ conflict I did not address was – IRQ-11 – Removing USB Controllers should take care of it – However when installing NEW USB Controllers – It may surface again –

I have given 2 Main Steps/Suggestions –
1 – Eliminate IRQ conflict
2 – Install new USB CARD

You can decide to do (1) Only – and then reinstall the Internal VIA – USB Host Controllers – OR – Do (2) Only after removing Internal VIA USB Controllers 1st –

Just keep in mind that what ever new USB Devices that you obtain in future – do research before purchasing – that they are TESTED for known compatibility with whatever USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE – that you have installed – in PC

Here is 1st Option with a little more detail –

1st – Remove all USB devices – Because you probably have Installed & Reinstalled USB devices – your PC probably has [Hidden USB] Drivers for Host Controller Interfacing & Devices – You need to use [SAFE MODE] and [UNINSTALL HARDWARE] using [CONTROL PANEL] – This – (AGAIN I THINK) – MIGHT reveal all instances of USB Drivers on PC – (Including hidden???)

2nd – Now do what Tyger suggested – “You can disable your serial and printer ports in Device Manager to free up some IRQs” – This would free up IRQ3 & IRQ4 – and IRQ7 –

3rd – Try to clear IRQ-5 – by Uninstalling the [AUDIO] devices on IRQ-5 using [CONTROL PANEL]

4th – Reinstall [AUDIO] Device – Hope that it is assigned to IRQ3 -

5th – Uninstall Wireless PCI that is assigned to IRQ-5 thru [CONTROL PANEL] – (If step 4 was successful) – This should leave [VIDEO] Device solely assigned to IRQ-5 –

6th – Reinstall Wireless PCI Device – Hope that it is assigned to IRQ-4 –

2nd Option with more detail

Here is a good USB Link – List good USB Cards
http://www.usbman.co...2 pci cards.htm

Select Card & Install -

You probably can learn more USB info here – This site probably has – FORGOTTEN – more than I will ever know about USB -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 September 2005 - 01:58 PM.

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Jack123

Thanks for the detailed 'to do list.'

I'm on the road (hate it when business gets in the way of my toys)....

Will take a look towards the end of the week and see what happens.

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Removed/unistalled wireless NIC and Media Card. Uninstalled all of the USBs (in safe mode) and they remapped to IRQ 3, video on 5. Reinstalled -rebooted (safe mode) wireless NIC and the USB IRQs remapped to 5 along with NIC. Moved NIC to new slot and rebooted (safe mode) and USBs now split across IRQs (5 and 11) with NIC on 11 also.

Found it strange that the IRQs started to dance around a bit.

Will install Media Card (again) next to see what happens.

Also, ran Tune-Up utility prior to all of this and cleaned registry of all Canon digital camera entries (still wouldn't install media card).

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No luck on solving the "data invalid" issue. Have a new one now with the audio driver (AC 97) gives same answer. Went to VIA and downloaded the pro version of drivers and no change to any of the loads.

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I went out to Microsoft and used the suggestion to rename the Driver.cab and then copy over from the XP Install disk. Did that, drivers still won't load.

Searched Windows Update and it found both the media card and my audio as needing driver updates. Initiated download and both failed.

It appears that I can't load any drivers at this time - what are my options?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- [Have Device Manager show Hidden Devices] –
Date- 1st October-2005
Poster- sbarde

When you uninstalled the devices in [SAFE MODE] – Were you able to view the USB [HIDDEN DEVICES] – Probably Not – I do not think that the process I gave you worked – Try Plan B – It is good for WIN2K-PRO –
We need to get rid of the Hidden Clutter – By using [DEVICE MANAGER] - But 1st we have to PREP [DEVICE MANAGER] using: (This [Prep Process] – is only required to do – this 1 time only) – unless a change to the [ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES] has been made –

[DEVICE MANAGER] – Hidden Device Driver Prep Process – (1 time only process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –

Next time you can open [DEVICE MANAGER] as you had always done before - Just set [VIEW] to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES] – This [Viewing Process] needs to be performed for - Every Viewing of [DEVICE MANAGER] –

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [HARDWARE] Tab –
(3) – Click [DEVICE MANAGER] – Tab – Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices]
(4) – [DEVICE MANAGER] should show [Hidden Device Drivers] – (Faded gray in color)
(5) – Start your Browsing & Viewing – Close as Usual – But repeat step (3) on each opening –

When using [DEVICE MANAGER] – You have to Double Left Click and./or Right Click each line to expand – to see properties – You want to use the [DRIVER] Tab on Properties Page to UNINSTALL the Hidden Devices

The [HIDDEN DEVICE] will be recognized by – Faded Light Gray Print – Leave the Bold Printed Devices installed –

Uninstall the Hidden Devices 1st – Then uninstall the Hidden Root Hubs 2nd – And then uninstall the Hidden Host Controllers last – I would do 1 group at a time & then reboot - before eliminating the next group – Uninstalling requires a [Restart] just like Installing requires a [Restart] –

Then you can browse all your devices for Hidden Instances – However be aware that if Device or Application is not connected / started the Driver is “Reserved” & appears as “Hidden” – So you do need to have all devices connected – so you can select the [Bogus] Hidden devices better – You may still delete the wrong one – but it will be corrected on reboot – That is why I suggest to do by groupings – (Always keep Recovery in mind) –

Keep in mind – This is just a theory – and I can’t give you a [Detailed Step by Step] Process – I have done this on my PC only – and I can visualize this theory – I have limited basic equipment – but until now I could not OBSERVE the Hidden Drivers – only the EFFECT – I have a lot of USB Devices & have encountered many problems – and have stumbled my way thru/around them – I have a large amount of – USB Problem Data – My own & from others – collected and entered into a data base – I just have organized clutter –

This is my theory -

I suspect that you may have a lot of Hidden Printer Devices – This may not be a problem – but it can’t be good to have – The way it is supposed to work – is – You have this Driver Installed & waiting for this Device to show up – But if you have more than 1 Driver – How is it know to select the correctly installed Driver – Because when you Boot up – you may or may not have your printer powered up – So now the Properly Installed Driver appears Hidden at this time – Until printer is connected to PC & PnP may or may not recognize (?) at proper time – At best I can see it being intermittent – Sometimes it works / Sometimes it doesn’t – And most times it doesn’t – Then compound this with Hidden Root Hub Drivers – and Hidden Host Controllers – You have a Classic Game of blind leading the blind – Now add this shaky operation to Bill Gates’ shaky UPDATES + a New USB Device – Then what did work suddenly quits – Sound familiar (?} –

Now you can see why I ask a lot of questions – I have ANSWERS – I just have to sort/match the QUESTIONS

If anything – this would explain the “IRQ Dancing” as you observed – the weird changing of the COM Ports with a media USB Device & the Conflicts at times – Now mix this with the timing of the PCI Bus & the BANDWITH sharing of USB Devices + Inrush Currents – It just can’t be a good thing –

Another bad thing is that it starts to multiply – every time you get a misfire – you gain another Hidden Device and/or another Hidden Root Hub to add to the clutter – So you end up with all these – Blind Drivers – running around – This just can’t be a good thing –

If nothing else – cleaning this clutter will enhance PC performance & reduce CPU usage – I had a lot of clutter

I just think that these hidden instances are blocking / confusing PnP from matching Device & Driver – Everything is there + ???? – The only thing that I have found to be consistent is the problem – They all have same symptom but different solution -

My 2 page clutter limit is up
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 01 October 2005 - 08:31 PM.

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Jack123 - thanks.

Your recommendation was the same as the Microsoft help desk. They worked through the command prompt to engage the hidden devices and there were quite a few of them. Probably from the situation you described.

I uninstalled all the hidden disk drives and USBs and they all reloaded. Still can't get the drivers to load even though the hardware is recognized by the PNP.

Not sure what happened along the way but I've lost all the restore points before this last week - not sure if the registry cleaners are the cause or perhaps during the various anti-virus scans the files were eliminated for cause (my youngest tends to bring interesting 'critters' to the machines).

I get the feeling that we're getting somewhere but that perhaps the end destination is pretty well blocked. In my mind it seems that there are certain conditions that cause a "invalid data" to be triggered and that most of these should reside within the registry. Tough part would be to figure out which registry location is the culprit.

I'm rather amazed at the number of registry cleaners out there and the fact that everyone of them comes back with a different number of problems. The Complete Registry Cleaner seemed to be the best bang for the buck so far - any recommendations on a cleaner?

Am I at the point were a reload of the OS is necessary? I've seen the Geekstogo reload pages and I need to make sure that all the necessary/valuable data is protected if a reload is necessary.

Sbarde

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic - USB Driver Issues
Date - 2nd Oct-2005

I am a Hardware person - Registry is not my game -

I suggest you browse this Forum - [Do a TOPIC SEARCH] - [Registry Cleaner] - [Reinstalling OPERATING SYSTEM] - This way you will collect all similar/related POSTS on same page -

Note on Search - (Keywords must be a minimum of 4 letters) \

Have you tried a [Driver Cleaner] - http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Might be another avenue to Drive (?) -

I am not sure how many problems we are addressing at same time - and if there is going to be several [Repair Steps] -

Might be time to Stand Back - & - [Take a New Assesment]

That is a problem with using Forum - change direction - You get different viewpoints - but sometimes too many to handle at one time -

I was trying to clear USB issues - thinking it may be related to others - probably is related but maybe only a symptom - not a solution -

It is good to talk over the issues - but not days & miles apart - Do you have friends that could help - that you can talk [Real Time] -

Talk to you later-will read up on USB Driver Architecture & Basics
Jack 123

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for all the thoughts and help. Understand the forum concerns. My old job had plenty of IT folks around to talk to. Now that I've retired from that one I'm working from home.... not to many IT folks here to talk to.

Appreciate the dialogue - if I solve it I'll repost the solution.