Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware drivers won't load - invalid data

• Please log in to reply

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Problem resolved - repaired XP with the help of the Microsoft online technician. We tried various registry scanners/cleaners, install/uninstall and more (similar to the recommendations of this site). After exhausting all of those options we went for the repair - didn't lose a thing other than my problem.

:tazz:

Advertisements

Fujitsujoe

Fujitsujoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can you let me know what you used to repair your registry. I'm having a similar problem.

I tried changing the permssions as suggested everywhere, with no luck!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-Hardware Drivers
Date-19th-Oct-2005

That is good news – Did MS give you any [Insight] of the [Root Cause] of the problem – And did this [Repair] end up with an – [Improvement on PC Performance] –

Are these devices now installed & [Functioning] now –
(1) Canon Power-shot 400 via USB
(2) Aver-Media EZ-Maker DVD PCI card

What is the report on IRQ-5 & IRQ-11 –
IRQ 5 Diamond S120 128MB DDR Radeon 9550
IRQ 5 D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E)
IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 5 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
IRQ 5 Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA ฎ Audio Controller

IRQ 11 Multimedia Controller
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

I am interested as to how your PnP – Ended up – [Sorting out] the [Video] – [Audio] – [Camera] & [DVD] –

Just to see if that had anything to do with problem – or if it was just a result of problem –

Well – Good Luck – Have a Good Day –
Jack123

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Here's how the IRQ ended up after reloading the OS:

0 - system timer
1 - keyboard
2 -
3 -
4 - Diamond S120128MB DDR Radeon 9550
4 - VIA Rev or later USB Host Controller
5 - D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter (rev.E) #3
5 - Standared Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
6 - Standard floppy disk controller
8 - System CMOS/real time clock
9 - Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
10-MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
11-AVerDBD EZMaker WDM Video Capture
11-VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
11-VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
11-Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
12-PS/2 Compatible Mouse
13-Numeric data processor
14-Primary IDE Channel
15-Secondary IDE Channel

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Fujitsujoe - Your question regarding the registry cleaner - http://www.thesoftwa...egistry Cleaner and I selected the complete registry cleaner.

I tried numerous ones (without actually repairing) to compare results of the scans - amazing differences. This one at least grabbed a lot and allowed for repair actions without purchase. Didn't solve my problem but did clear a lot of garbage out of the way.

Jack123
By the way - all hardware that I had problems with are now working like champs and new hardware has been added.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-Hardware Drivers will not Load
Date-22nd Oct-2005

Thanks for the info – Quick analysis Notes –
(1) – IRQ-5 is a lot neater – (This was just a symptom/result) – Not the Cause
(2) – Your USB 2.0 & USB 1.1 Host Controllers are now separated – (Were all IRQ-5 & IRQ-11)
(3) – The Host Controllers are supposed to be able to [Share the PCI Bus] – but [Bandwidth] may be an issue – Some may be [Hogs] – Not sharing an IRQ may give more [Elbow] room – Again only symptom/result
(4) – Need to know more about the [PnP] – IRQ [Selecting] Process -
(5) – It appears that – [we] – do not have much influence on [IRQ Assignments] by PnP –
(6) – Either BIOS or Chipset Drivers have much of the control – or the predetermination –
(7) – Moving the PCI slot seems to be our best IRQ controlling option – Like they are predetermined –
(8) – Explains why changing expansion slots work sometimes – [Not because Slot was bad] as usually assumed
(9) – Freeing up the unused Ports – only gives PnP an expanded option – not a new option –
(10)– Probably the [Order] of Installation has some influence on selecting the [Sharing Order/selection] –
(11)– Broadening the [Viewing] Property of [Device Manager] is a good tool to clean up – Clutter –
(12)- This may fix some of the USB Installation Problems – [Not this time] – Because USB Problem was
probably a [Result] – Not the cause –
(13)- Gained some experience – but as usual with these problems – Ended up with more questions – than answers –

Glad that everything is working FINE – Did your – [PC Performance] – improve also – Do you have any [theory] – As to what the [Root Cause] might have been –

PS – In everything that you did – Did you ever [Update BIOS] –

Good Luck

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 22 October 2005 - 09:43 AM.

sbarde

sbarde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Jack123,

Performance has improved (noticed by my kids).

For causes I think back to the old way of doing Windows with the *.ini, sys and config files where we could manipulate the startup order of the various programs (to include the TSRs). Now we have very little control but I'll bet that source code evolved out of those and now we're stuck with the installation order vice a recommended order for efficiency of operations.

I think part of the problem was when I changed video cards and the NVidia didn't quite release as it should have (some parts are still there but I can atleast push them out of the way by altering the MSCONFIG). With that double load of drivers and no device to run I think the registry and associated files became corrupted.

I've asked the representative (MS online help) for any insight as to what caused the problem. Somewhere in the code the "invalid data" is triggered and one would think that we could work backward to those triggers and resolve the issue. Problem is more than likely that no one is working to develop the search tools to find those (my guess).

PNP is nice, but also removes some control by the owner/operator. I've disabled a couple of network devices that have been unloaded but still show up in device manager. I've played a little with the registry in the past an may due some searches on the drivers/devices and delete the entries. For now everything appears to be running well, so I will let it go for now.

Appreciate all the help - it is a learning process that never ends.

adrew150

adrew150

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did you ever get any resolution to this. I am having the same problem?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Installing USB Devices
Date 2nd Nov-2005

Adrew150 –

Win2000 XP OS was repaired – It would be best if you start your own POST – describing in Detail:

1- System
2- Problem
3- Describe what steps/action you have performed
4- List recent Updates/upgrades

As you can see it takes several Posts – just to define problem – and to establish a starting point -

Jack123

Fujitsujoe

Fujitsujoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I solved this by rather repairing the registry, repairing the operating system. Boot off the xp cd and install as normal, until you get prompted to repair the exitsing installation. I think this is what was meant by 'went for the repair' earlier in this post, which I misread!

Advertisements