Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My hp xt856

• Please log in to reply

sallyshe

sallyshe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not get my computer to reboot fully. The computer beeps twice the fan run's well, but the monitor does not reply. The yellow light comes on the computer and monitor but nothing happens. What could be the cause of this? :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
sallyshe...Welcome to G2G!...

Sounds like a memory problem. Have you added any memory (RAM) or other hardware inside the case lately?

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Sallyshe,

take a look here: http://www.pchell.co...codes.shtml#ami

It confirms wannabe1's diagnosis and also offers a little advice.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Iy would be worth re-installing the RAM modules and making sure that they are seated properly.

See here: http://www.crucial.c...mm2.asp#modules

sallyshe

sallyshe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not get my computer to reboot fully. The computer beeps twice the fan run's well, but the monitor does not reply. The yellow light comes on the computer and monitor but nothing happens. What could be the cause of this?  :)

View Post

Thank you for responding and welcoming me. :tazz: I am really lost here I can't find what the problem is with this monster of a machine. I have tried and removed the memory and changed one with the other but nothing. i changed the sony battery but nothing. It beeps twice and sometimes four times. The yellow light stays on and the fan runs. the light is as though it is in hibernate mode. There is no signal to the monitor, it is working I know that but not with the PC. I really can't afford to buy another one right now. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee Help me. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
sallyshe...

Two beeps is nearly always memory related, but the four beep sequence is pretty indicative of a motherboard failure, usually related to timing circuits on the board. I know of no fix for this other than the replacement of the motherboard.

Let's wait for some other posters to chime in...I hope I'm wrong on this one!

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would suggest that you jump the BIOS. There are two way to do this, either switch the bios jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 and then turn the computer on and let it run for about 5 seconds or so and then turn it off and return the bios jumper to it's normal setting of 1-2

OR

you can take out the CMOS battery, and let it stay out for 5 minutes minimum. Also while it's out, hit the power button a few times as that will make sure that all CMOS memory is whipped out of the computer. Then put the CMOS battery back in, plug the computer cord back in and turn it on.

*Another thing I would check is do you have a video card in one of the AGP or PCI slots? If you do and none of the above has as of yet worked, take out the video card and plug your video cable into the onboard video slot and see what happens.

*Another thing you can try if all of the above don't help is to try putting just one of the memory sticks in at a time and in different slots and see if you get anything. One back stick will make everything not work.

Hope one of these helps.

Good luck!

Fenor