Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - Netgear Integrated Modem/Router

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have just purchased a "NETGEAR DG834G Integrated ADSL Modem 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router" and a "Netgear WG111 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter".

Basically, I have a new Desktop computer and a funky new Laptop (with built in wireless PCMIA card thingy).

I wanted a wireless modem so I can connect my laptop to the internet in my little abode and the little USB adaptor should get my desktop PC linked up.

Here's where I get confused - I imagined having this little modem/router thing next to a phone point somewhere in my apartment (which isn't very big) and my PC and laptop could connect whereever they are in my flat. However, from the pics on the side of the box and the installation instructions, is it right that it has to be PHYSICALLY connected to my PC? ie to the PC's ethernet card? If so, that's a litle disappointing - there is no phone point in my 'study' and I would have to trail a wire in from the nearest point which counters the whole wireless benefit (it would also move the wireless modem away from the lounge (which is probaby where I would connect with my laptop :tazz: )

Any thoughts?

Edited by hoggle2000, 17 September 2005 - 07:06 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You should be able to connect wireless to the router. You may need to physically have the router attached to your computer initially, because wireless connects are disabled by default with new routers. So you don't need to have your computer moved into the room with the phone jack, instead just plug the router into a wall jack near your computer and then connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the router. Turn on your computer, and then when your computer is booted up, you will just need to go to Internet Explorer (or your browser of choice) and log into it. Easiest way to find out how to log into your router is to go to START-->RUN and type in 'cmd' Then in the window that appears, type in ipconfig. The numbers listed next to DEFAULT GATEWAY will be what you need to type into the address bar of your browser. You may need to know the login/password information for your router, which you can find in the documentation that came with it. For my netgear router, then default login was: admin and the password was: 1234 You can try those and if they don't work then look and see what it is in the documentation.

Good luck! Post any problems you have in here.

Fenor

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ah, so once it has been connected to my PC and configured, I can disconnect the modem and move it next to the wall socket in the next room and have both my desktop PC and laptop connect to it wirelessly?