Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msclean.exe keeps poping up

• Please log in to reply

funtime

funtime

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Everytime I restart my computer, an "msclean.exe" OPEN FILE-security warning application install box greets me on my desktop. It wasn't there before, and now it is. I've been clicking the "cancel" button opposed to the "run" button because I don't know what it is. It goes away when cancelled, but returns upon reboot. It has an "unknown publisher" who cannot be varifyed. I've scanned it for viruses using FREEDOM virus scan that comes with AOL and it reports that no viruses are found, but I still don't trust the scan. Should I delete this application from my C:/WINDOWS folder where it resides or RUN the application? Is it suppose to be there? My OP system is Windows XP- SP2. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
please download and install ewido (ewido.net). update the software definitions and run the scan. when it completes please save the log and post it here.

thanks,
Starjax

funtime

funtime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Starjax,

I did as you suggested and downloaded and installed ewido (ewido.net). The application updated it's own software definitions and I didn't even have to run the scan. After re-booting, ewido reported that "msclean.exe" was a malicious malware and took care of it. It also found 5 other malware immediately on the computer and deleted it!

I'll run a scan later this evening after I retire to be sure of no other infections. Looks like I'll have to subscribe to ewido after my trial peroid ends... Thanks again! Kenny