Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burner Install

• Please log in to reply

cinclone1

cinclone1

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hey guys,
I just bought a new NED ND-3540A DVDBurner. Presently, I have a DVD Drive on the top slot and CD-RW in the bottom slot on my unit. When I tried installing the DVD burner, the system does not recognize the second drive. It will recognize the burner but not the CD-RW. I tried to take out just the DVD player and install the burner but no luck reading it. I took out the burner and replaced it with the orginal drives and the system is now reading both drives. Any idea what i'm doing wrong? I was told it doesn't matter which drive you take out to replace and just remove one of them, and insert the cables the same way. Thanks for any assisntance you can give me.
Dan

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It sounds like your DVD/CD drives that are in your computer are set on CABLE SELECT and I'm betting your new DVD burner isn't. You need to change the jumper on the back of your DVDburner to cable select (or if it's not set on cable select, make sure the jumper is in the same position as it is on the drive it's replacing, either MASTER, SLAVE or CABLE SELECT) The jumper is between the power and bus cable ususally, you will notice it because it has a little plug (we call a jumper) that is attached over two metal 'prongs' (can't think of the correct term too early :tazz: ) On CD/DVD drives it's usually very easy to tell which 'prongs' correspond to MASTER, SLAVE or CABLE select because above them it will say MA, SL or CS.

Good luck, and post back here with any problems you have.

Fenor

cinclone1

cinclone1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Fenor,
I kind of figures about the jumper on the back. I will test it out later and check back but right after i posted this, i kind of figured it may be that problem. Thanks for the reply.
Dan

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let us knwo how it goes, and oh since I'm awake now I know they are called 'pins' and not 'prongs' lol :tazz:

cinclone1

cinclone1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Fenor,
Moved the pins and now it shows both drives! Thanks for your help!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad you got it working! :tazz: