Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall: 98se or XP?

• Please log in to reply

GWats

GWats

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, so I'm just about ready to tackle the dreaded reinstall of the O/S on my chronically disfunctional P3 650. I've been reassured by good folks like you that this is the way to go. I have a Microsoft version of Win98se and I also have a copy of the WinXP installation CD.

Question 1: Which should I use? 98se or XP?

Question 2: How do I do it? It has been loosely explained to me but not to the point where I am anywhere near confident. I need a tutorial, or someone to explain to me exactly what to do. Words like "fdisk" and "partition", etc.. are new to me and might as well be in another language. I need to know specifically what to do and when to do it. Once I get into this, it may be difficult to access your support.

Question 3: If all goes well, should I add more RAM? I have 128mb now. If so, how much?, and which one? There seem to be a bunch of different types of RAM when I see it advertised at the local stores.

Thanks so much for your time. This is scary stuff for me. I definitely couldn't do it without you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi GWats...Welcome to G2G!

If your XP disk is a copy and is not accompanied by documentation and a product key, Do Not install it. Copies generally cause more problems than they cure and are considered pirated software on this site so we would be unable to offer help under our Terms of Service. Besides, 128MB of RAM is not enough to support XP.

Your best bet is a clean install of Win98SE. There is a very good step by step tutorial for doing that HERE. Print it out for reference if you won't have access to help during the procedure. You will need both the 98SE installation cd and the product key that came with it. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

As for the RAM question, adding memory is always a good thing as long as the system can support it. Without more information on your machine, I really can't tell you what kind or how much you should add.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 07:30 AM.