Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icon won't delete ...

• Please log in to reply

witan

witan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

[attachment=3629:attachment]Last week a desktop icon appeared on my computer and when I tried to delete it, it will not allow it. It even stays at a lighter color as if someone has alread clicked it. I tried running in safe mode and deleting it, but when it safe mode, only two icons of the about 40 appear and that file is not one of them. I have posted some pictures of what I am seeing and hope someone can help me. I even tried Googling so see if I could find anything and could not. Any idea of what this could be? Ran AV plus several other spyware programs and got nothing re this icon.

View Post

I have almost an identical problem. The icon created in my case was the attachment from an email that arrived in Outlook Express. The attachment itself was a forwarded email message. I tried saving the message on the desktop again. Now both "icons" could be opened using any browser -- but they had no extensions and would not automatically open in Outlook Express.

I cannot delete it in safe mode. I tried removing all reference to the name of the file in the registry (using regedit), but that too didn't work. Nor did logging in as Administrator and deleting it from my profile.

I have a dual boot system with Linux (Mandriva 10.1) on a different disk. I tried deleting the file after booting into Linux (and opening the windows mnt), but that too failed.

I have a feeling (please don't laugh at me if I am wrong, because I am really not a computer expert) that the problem is the result of some information erroneously retained in the Master File Table after the file has been deleted. Will the experts please give a thought to this possibility? Is it possible to SAFELY edit the MFT?

Thanks
witan

Advertisements

witan

witan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found the solution in a Google group -- use "delinvfile.exe", downloadable from http://dl11.filekicker.net/private/$a.../delinvfile.exe or

http://tinyurl.com/dmdu8

It did the job in a jiffy!